Re-using yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoemaker

Reaction score
I saved the yeast cake from my previous English Brown Ale. I want to use it in addition to a packet of yeast for a high gravity beer that requires double pitching. My question is, how much of this yeast should I use from the yeast cake and does the fact that I have used hops in it matter? Below is the recipe I want to use this yeast with....

Winter Warmer OG 1.073......FG 1.019

1/2 lb Crystal 20L Malt
3/4 lb Crystal 60L Malt
13 lb Pale Ale Malt

Not an expert on this but . . .

You could look at BernieBrewer's sticky thread in the fermentation subforum on washing and reusing yeast. You could step it up so that its big enough you wouldn't need to double pitch and you also wouldn't have to worry about the hops.

Cheers!

also matters what yeast you are using and if you want the esters from it or not. when I do I big beer I make a small batch then pitch the big beer on top of that cake. I just use the full cake because I really don't what any esters in my big beers.

I don't think the hop will effect it much but if your worried you could wash the yeast then pitch it.

Back