Girlfriend likes IIPA but thinks IPA too bitter...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I think it is because the IIPA had a higher FG while the IPA finished lower. Though she descibes the IPA as tasting like vomit, not the IIPA though...

She's just crazy me thinks.

Maybe it has to do with the hop flavor/aroma more than the bitterness? Can you get Hazed and Infused out your way? Might be worth it to pick up a 6 pack to try

I could see how that may be perceived. Most IIPA or DIPA's are in addition to being extremely hopped in every way, are higher gravity both in original and finishing. They can have quite a bit of sweetness to balance all those hops while a regular IPA could seem more bitter with less hops if the overall beer is dryer.

Make sense?

I understand what she must mean. Higher gravity beers do have to have lots of other flavors and aromas to mask the flavor of so much alcohol. I'd agree that just about Every IIPA that I have had does not choke you with bitterness- and hop aroma is often Way more pronounced. Loosely speaking- I completely agree with her- because there is no shortage of IPA's that (in an effort to be unique in taste) KILL you with bitterness. I'm a total hop-head- but I enjoy aroma more than Pure Bitter Bombardment. Give her DogFishHeads 90min IPA-

Latest posts

Back