Bottle straight from secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
My brewing kit consists of a primary bucket with an airlock and then a bottling bucket with a spigot... I'm wondering if I can rack from my primary into bottling bucket, use that as a secondary for a week or two for clarification and then rack into bottles right from there or would I still need to rack into another bucket for bottling?

Although you could do that, I wouldnt because you will still end up with some trub and sediment at the bottom of the bottling bucket, and if you bottle straight from that bucket youll probably end up mixing that sediment back into the beer when adding your priming sugar.

Also, depending on the style of beer and how long it has already been in primary, you could probably get away with letting it clear a couple more weeks in the primary and be just fine.

You can do that but I'd recommend you use carb tabs rather than priming sugar if you do. The agitation of mixing in the priming sugar would stir up a lot of excess yeast and sediment in the beer which will end up in the bottle.

What Brakeman said.
If you leave your beer in the primary until it's cleared (3 or 4 weeks), no reason to not just bottle it up when you rack to bottling bucket.

My first batch (a English Pale Ale) has been in the primary for about a week and fermentation has stopped... I was hoping to move my current batch into a secondary to free up my primary for something else :). I'm guessing I need to stop cheaping out, man up and go get another bucket...

So no problems with just leaving the first batch in the primary for 3 wweks? Nothing needs to be done to it?

Correct, I dont use a secondary unless its a big beer, or something with alot of roasted dark malts like a porter/stout. Most average ales will be fine with 3-4 weeks in primary, then to the bottles.

I'd go ahead and get some more buckets or carboys so you can get more brews going without having to wait on each one, but thats just me.

I've bottled fom the secondary a few times with no problems. In fact I think skipping yet another racking can actually be beneficial. Just boil the primer and cool a bit, then carefully pour into the secondary and slowly stir with the racking cane. Let sit for 30 minutes and bottle.You won't get any more trub than you normally do when racking from the secondary to the bottling bucket. IMO YMMV.

edit: I use glass for a secondary which changes things a bit.

I've bottled fom the secondary a few times with no problems. In fact I think skipping yet another racking can actually be beneficial. Just boil the primer and cool a bit, then carefully pour into the secondary and slowly stir with the racking cane. Let sit for 30 minutes and bottle.You won't get any more trub than you normally do when racking from the secondary to the bottling bucket. IMO YMMV.

edit: I use glass for a secondary which changes things a bit.

I disagree with mixing up the priming sugar with the trub from the secondary. I usually have an inch of trub in my secondary. My standard time from is 3-4 weeks primary and an equal amount of time in secondary. I end up with about 1/16th of an inch of compacted yeast in my bottles. Having a measurable amount of junk in the bottom of my bottles is not desirable.

I disagree with mixing up the priming sugar with the trub from the secondary. I usually have an inch of trub in my secondary. My standard time from is 3-4 weeks primary and an equal amount of time in secondary. I end up with about 1/16th of an inch of compacted yeast in my bottles. Having a measurable amount of junk in the bottom of my bottles is not desirable.

The trub doesn't get mixed up if you're carefull. All I can say is that I tried it and it works and I didn't get any more sediment than I normally do...I don't do this as a practice, but I've done it a few times and it works. Also you don't really have to mix the primer all that much if at all. Just a minute or 2 of slowly stirring is sufficient and waiting a half hour will settle the trube back down and the primer will distribute itself nicely.

With everything YMMV.

Back