Yeast wash looking like... um

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Okay, washed my saved WLP300 three times now. There is alot of fairly solid and thick CREAMY white looking material on the bottom of the jar, with a thin layer of darker, gray, material on top that is not nearly as solid, it is very loose. I thought the DARK stuff was the junk that settled to the bottom, the creamy white yeast rested on top.... I have 1/2" of the creamy solid stuff on the bottom and a realy thin dark gray layer that is not as flocculant on top... what gives????

Pol

You misunderstood...I have not REUSED the yeast (3) times, I have washed it three times... it has been used once. It has a small gray layer of stuff on top of the creamy white yeast. Then the water above is mainly clear....

Pol

Hello, all of these brewers and not a single response to my question? Wow... I will go ask my wife... ha ha

So I washed my WLP300 all up, drained off most of the liquid and poured it into my original WLP300 vial. How long do you suppose this stuff will last in my fridge? It is a FULL vial of almost solid yeasties, so I can make a starter later to make sure it is still ready to go.... but how long do you think?

I usually refill my vials from the starter cake not from the fermentor, my rule is 3 months in the fridge. When making starters with the "recycle" I would make sure I had enough time to make sure it was going to work to buy a new one if needed before brewday.

Cool cool... yah I used my yeast from the primary of my heffe... washed it several times to get all the junk out... came up with a full vial. I want to use it in a cpl months or a month when my Lager is in the secondary to make another heffe, that stuff is SOOO GOOOOD. My LHBS carries the WLP300, so I am set if it fails to revive.

Pol

Back