Too much yeast on the sides of my better bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel80

Reaction score
Does anyone else have this problem? I do my primary in a better bottle, let it sit for 3 to 4 weeks and rack to a bottling bucket. As I siphon, the yeast that has settled on the sides of my fermentor falls right into my perfectly clear beer and clouds it right up.

Am i being neurotic about how much yeast makes it to the bottling bucket? Is there a way to combat this?

Let it condition longer it the bottle it will clear, or i guess you could cold crash, i just dont like that idea for bottleing really,it just means it will take longer to carb up and conditon.
Are you shure you are getting it from the sides? that doesnt seem that normal to be that much to cloud up, you shure your not getting it from the bottem at all?
It doesnt matter if it looks cloudy as you bottle,in most of mine thats how it is then with a month or two it pretty much clears or a few weeks carbing and a few in the fridge.

I've seen that. There is not enough to worry about. Any clouding I get while racking to my bottling bucket settles out in the bucket or while bottle conditioning. My beers are clear out of the bottles.

Yeah, dint worry about that man, there's a million other things to worry about. That yeast will settle out in the bottom of the bottles along with the yeast in suspension.

PS, unless you keg, it's very hard to get clear beer because removing chill haze is almost impossible for bottles unless they sit in the fridge for a month.

If it really bugs you, give the Better Bottle a few gentle taps on the side to dislodge the yeast that settles on the ribs. Let that settle out and then rack.

If it really bugs you, give the Better Bottle a few gentle taps on the side to dislodge the yeast that settles on the ribs. Let that settle out and then rack.

This, or lightly swirl it. I don't transfer from the same location as it ferments, so it gets swirled when I carefully move it to the shop and let it set another day. The stuff on the ribs and at the liquid level falls and settles.

Yeah, dint worry about that man, there's a million other things to worry about. That yeast will settle out in the bottom of the bottles along with the yeast in suspension.

PS, unless you keg, it's very hard to get clear beer because removing chill haze is almost impossible for bottles unless they sit in the fridge for a month.

Chill haze is not something that is certain. There are many ways to control chill haze and they are all pre-fermentation. Number one is a fast chill and leaving the cold break in the kettle, this keeps the proteins that cause chill haze to remain in the kettle and out of the fermenter. Once I mastered that, my beers (both bottled and kegged) come out crystal clear.

As far as the yeast/gunk stuck to the side of the fermenter, I gently rock the carboy (with the air lock in place) a week before I bottle/keg. This usually knocks the stuff loose and lets it settle to the bottom. You WON'T oxygenate your beer or do any damage. You will not be adding any outside air to the bottle. Also, your just going to have to make a decision. Do you want every last drop of beer or do you want a beer that is clear going into the bottling bucket (and therefore a beer that is going to be clear sooner)? Racking is basically that trade off. Things like cold crashing helps.

Chill haze is not something that is certain. There are many ways to control chill haze and they are all pre-fermentation. Number one is a fast chill and leaving the cold break in the kettle, this keeps the proteins that cause chill haze to remain in the kettle and out of the fermenter. Once I mastered that, my beers (both bottled and kegged) come out crystal clear.

As far as the yeast/gunk stuck to the side of the fermenter, I gently rock the carboy (with the air lock in place) a week before I bottle/keg. This usually knocks the stuff loose and lets it settle to the bottom. You WON'T oxygenate your beer or do any damage. You will not be adding any outside air to the bottle. Also, your just going to have to make a decision. Do you want every last drop of beer or do you want a beer that is clear going into the bottling bucket (and therefore a beer that is going to be clear sooner)? Racking is basically that trade off. Things like cold crashing helps.

the cold break being left in the kettle is probably not the reason for your clear beer, more likely is getting a good cold break. the trub in the fermentor has nothing to do with beer being clear or having chill haze. if you didn't get a good cold/hot break and left whatever trub in the kettle you could get chill haze and if you did get a good hot/cold break and dumped the whole kettle into the fermentor you would get a clear beer for sure.

No argument there. But, if the OP doesn't like all the gunk sticking to the side of his bottle.....then less in equals less out.

Does anyone else have this problem? I do my primary in a better bottle, let it sit for 3 to 4 weeks and rack to a bottling bucket. As I siphon, the yeast that has settled on the sides of my fermentor falls right into my perfectly clear beer and clouds it right up.

Am i being neurotic about how much yeast makes it to the bottling bucket? Is there a way to combat this?

maybe a little bit neurotic. the beer is not really finished yet just because you are racking to the bottling bucket and bottling. if you are opening your beer bottles a month or two from now and they are cloudy with yeast, and it's not a hefeweizen, then you have a problem. i used to worry about every move the siphon made and kicked up some yeast or trub but months later i would see a pretty hard layer of yeast stuck to the bottom of the bottle, unavoidable if you bottle condition, and crystal clear beer in my glass. the focus should be on the end result; is the beer clear in the glass even though you saw some yeast/trub clouding up the bottling bucket? if it's not it certainly has nothing to do with bottling bucket clarity. clear beer starts in the boil kettle.

Back