Greetings from South Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmy7

Reaction score
Hello fellow beer aficionads. I'm from sunny Fort Lauderdale and am new to home brewing but a long time connoisseur of fine beer.:cross: I started my beer sampling career in highschool at weekend keg parties with such great beers like Budweiser, Miller, Schlitz, Schmidt's, Schaefer, and Genesee Cream Ale way back in the 70's.

Since then my tastes have changed and now I enjoy the Belgium ales. Beers like Kasteel brown ale, Gouden Carolous, Gulden Draak, Delirium Tremens, and Duvel.

I haven't tried any homebrew from anyone yet and I haven't made any but I would lke to make something like a Belgium brown ale and see how it comes out. Wheat beers are enjoyable too and might be worth trying to brew.

I'm happy to have found everyone here at this great forum and look forward to learning as much as I can about brewing some great brews. :tank:

Jimmy

I really like the Belgian Ales too. White Labs has a Trappist Ale liquid yeast that works well IMO, its lends a fruity, spicey clove taste to the beer. Also steeping some Belgian Biscut malt gives it a great flavor. I brewed a Belgian Ale a few weeks ago. It is currently bottle conditioning, but I sampled one yesterday and it is maturing quite nicely. Its not from a kit but the guy at the Home Brew Store put the recipe together for me.

If you are interested let me know and I will post it when I get home tonight.

Edit: Oh and welcome to the forum:rockin:

EmptyH,

Thanks for the recipe offer. I would be intersted in any belgium ale recipe you have tried. How does the alcohol content rate on your present ale?

My hydrometer broke so I couldn't get an acurate alcohol reading but its got a kick to it. I used the Belgian Amber rock candy to boost the sugar and thus the ABV.

I will post the recipe this weekend.

ok I'm back.

Here is the Belgian Ale that I made about a month ago. It has a fruity clove like flavor and is very easy drinking. It still needs to be aged another week (only been bottled 2 weeks) but its shaping up nicely:

3.3 lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
3.3 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
1 lbs Amber Belgian Candi Sugar
2 lbs Dingemans Belgian Biscut Malt 19.3 Lovibond
1 oz SAAZ Pellet Hops 3.6% Alpha Acid
2 oz Tettnang Pellet Hops 4.0% Alpha Acid
Trappist Ale Yeast WLP500

Add crushed grains to 2+ Gal(anticipating boil off) of water and head to 160 F. Hold temp for 20 min.
Remove grains and add Belgian Candi
Bring to a boil, remove from heat and add Malt Extract
Bring back up to boil and add 1oz of Tettnang (boil time 60 min)
30 min into boil add 1 oz SAAZ (boil time 30 min)
55 min into boil add 1 oz Tettnang (boil time 5 min)
Rapidly cool Wort to room temp pour vigorously into primary
Add 3 Gal of water to primary, bringing full volume to 5 Gal.
Pitch Yeast.

I am still quite new at thing myself. This was only my third batch and the first and my first non-kit, so I am sure some of the more experienced people here will chime in with ideas, but I think it turned out pretty good.

That sounds about right. I might have gone a little darker on the extract, but that's just me. A mixture of Crystal and Chocolate malt might also work. If you are in a pinch for Candi Sugar, I've found that Turbinado (raw) sugar works great too. The hops are spot-on but I would have added the Tettnang first, as it has the higher alpha. If you want to kick that recipe up, take the extract up to 8lbs and the sugar to two pounds and grind a few tablespoons of allspice and dried orange peel into the steeping grains.

ok I'm back.

Here is the Belgian Ale that I made about a month ago. It has a fruity clove like flavor and is very easy drinking. It still needs to be aged another week (only been bottled 2 weeks) but its shaping up nicely:

3.3 lbs Light Liquid Malt Extract
3.3 lbs Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
1 lbs Amber Belgian Candi Sugar
2 lbs Dingemans Belgian Biscut Malt 19.3 Lovibond
1 oz SAAZ Pellet Hops 3.6% Alpha Acid
2 oz Tettnang Pellet Hops 4.0% Alpha Acid
Trappist Ale Yeast WLP500

Add crushed grains to 2+ Gal(anticipating boil off) of water and head to 160 F. Hold temp for 20 min.
Remove grains and add Belgian Candi
Bring to a boil, remove from heat and add Malt Extract
Bring back up to boil and add 1oz of Tettnang (boil time 60 min)
30 min into boil add 1 oz SAAZ (boil time 30 min)
55 min into boil add 1 oz Tettnang (boil time 5 min)
Rapidly cool Wort to room temp pour vigorously into primary
Add 3 Gal of water to primary, bringing full volume to 5 Gal.
Pitch Yeast.

I am still quite new at thing myself. This was only my third batch and the first and my first non-kit, so I am sure some of the more experienced people here will chime in with ideas, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Back