Rust on my Heating Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckyBrewing

Reaction score
OK I was going to start working on my 2nd electric kettle and took apart the first one so I can take some measurements of the cable lengths then I noticed something. My water heater element rusted when I only ran it 2 times. I am thinking that I may have to get another one. Here is a picture of the rust. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so how did you address it?

element.jpg

Thanks,
Dennis

I have seen this on my element. It happened when I had a very small leak. I cleaned it up with barkeepers friend and I know make sure I wipe the element down after using it. The very small leak is now fixed as well.

wilserbrewer it is not wort residue. i was just boiling water to make sure it was working properly. Now I am a little tentative on using this element bcs of the rust.

I will try to use the barkeeper's friend to see if it will help with the rust. I guess I will be extra careful with any water/wort that maybe left on the element itself.

I have the same thing happening. I left water in by electric kettle for a few days (test run, it has not been used with wort yet) and there is a rust stain running down from the element inside the kettle. I wonder if this is happening because we aren't using a sacrificial anode like you would find inside a water heater. I'm sure BKF will clean it up, perhaps I need to blow the moisture off the element with compressed air when I am done using it.

I have a small amout of rust on my SS nut, in my HLT. I just cleaned it off with a choreboy. I didn't notice it right away I'm sure since I don't pull apart my HTL that often all the water I use is pumped in. So I have probably brewed a few batches with it and tastes fine to me.

I asked the same question once (maybe you can find it).
Anyway, mine often looks like that if you do not dry it completely off after cleaning. No problem, mine always look fine after another brew.

i bought an aluminum anode at home depot and put it in the HLT and boil kettle as needed. i'm not completely sure, but i think it needs to be in contact with the metal it's supposed to protect as well.

p.d.

Back