Straight From the Cow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zac

Thread Killer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I talked to my local co-operating, sharing equipment, barter for everything next door dairy farmer.

In exchange for some cheese, he will be able to provide me with the good stuff, straight form the holstein.

So, what do I need to know when stepping up from store bought milk to the real deal?

This is the same fellow who owns a combine that I own half of, we make each others hay all the time, share all kinds of stuff that we couldn't own seperately. I do carpentering work for him, and he plants & chops my corn. I helped build his house, and he baled my hay for me while I was working on his house, that kind of barter/trade system.

A cool guy.

I am so jealous.

The thing that Ricki Carroll says about raw milk is know the cow (healthy) and the farmer (takes care of animals and sanitation). There are pathogens that can survive the process particularly in cheese that does not age over 60 days. She also says that fresh milk makes great tasting cheese! You can always home pasteurize if necessary but I know how necessary it will be.

I recently posted a thread about raw milk on this forum, so check it out.

When making cheese with raw milk, there is no need for calcium chloride.

Another important thing to know is that when using raw milk you have to up the culture about 25%, because raw milk has natural enzymes which inhibit bacterial growth -- a good thing, since it protects the milk from pathogens, but it also slows down your starter cultures.

Nurmey,

I trust this guy with my life. Literally. We farm together. We own million dollar machines together. Ill leave it at that.

I know his cows, his farm (hell I built the milking parlor). When the vet comes, she checks his cows, then checks mine.

Should I let the mozz age 60 days before consumption? ( I hope not)

Brewmonger.

Ok, tell me if this is wrong.
Add the citric acid, but not the calcium carbonate, and add 3/4 tablet of rennet instead of 1/2 tablet?

Nurmey,

I trust this guy with my life. Literally. We farm together. We own million dollar machines together. Ill leave it at that.

I know his cows, his farm (hell I built the milking parlor). When the vet comes, she checks his cows, then checks mine.

Should I let the mozz age 60 days before consumption? ( I hope not)

Brewmonger.

Ok, tell me if this is wrong.
Add the citric acid, but not the calcium carbonate, and add 3/4 tablet of rennet instead of 1/2 tablet?

If the milking is done well, no need to pasteurize before using. If not so sure, you can always pasteurize the milk.

(It's calcium chloride you add, not carbonate! Right, you don't need it with non-homogenized milk)

Yooper,

Mrs. Goodman, my college chemisty professor would tell me "ZAC!!!! you are capable of better. I expect better. ....then she would add her usual disclaimer about how if I were her son, she would kick my a$$ to the curb, tell me to get a haircut & a job. Then she would tell me how smart I was and how if I continued down the road I was on, I would end up just like I was.

After all these years, I cant beieve I said I added baking soda to cheese. Yes, It was CaCl, calcium chloride.

I cant believe I spelled believe wrong.

Hell, it may still be spelled wrong.

I graduated high school with a 4th grade level in spelling.

If I wernet so sick, (literally stomach problems) I would have caught that.

Yooper, I like you, but you are no Mrs Goodman.

Mrs goodman was old, no curves, and the thought of alcohol to her lips would have sent her into orbit...

PS.
I like Yooper better.

If I wernet so sick, (literally stomach problems) I would have caught that.

Yooper, I like you, but you are no Mrs Goodman.

Mrs goodman was old, no curves, and the thought of alcohol to her lips would have sent her into orbit...

PS.
I like Yooper better.

:D wernet??? I love you Zac

Sorry you're sick!

Back