Adding Smoked Malt to Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basisforaday

Reaction score
Will this give you more smoked flavor? I missed the mark on how much smoked flavor I wanted in a recent brew and I just racked to the secondary last night. Can I get some Smoked Malt and add it to the secondary to get some more flavor out of it? Any other thoughts?

That might be tough, b/c you'll have to mash again to get the flavor out of it. You might wanna try getting some oak chips and smoke them, or even buy some smoked wood chips to add.

Im not sure how smoked malt would work if you didnt mash it......I suppose you could steep it....however you'll get more fermentables, worth a shot though.

Grain is covered in Lacto, so unless you're looking for for a sour smoked brew, I wouldn't recommend it. How about just liquid smoke?

I've heard that liquid smoke adds a more artificial flavor that doesn't taste quite right unless you get the right brand/kind. Anyone have any suggestions on which brand and how much I should use?

Why not mash some smoked malt and boil it down to a very high gravity and pitch that?

You shouldn't have to use a huge amount of grain and by boiling it down you aren't going to add much additional volume.

Why not mash some smoked malt and boil it down to a very high gravity and pitch that?

You shouldn't have to use a huge amount of grain and by boiling it down you aren't going to add much additional volume.

That's what I'm thinking of doing. How much do you think I should mash...1 lb? 2lb?

That's what I'm thinking of doing. How much do you think I should mash...1 lb? 2lb?

I was going to say liquid smoke too, but wasn't sure how that would work......

Need some more info for that grain......what was your grain bill?? size of batch??

Don't have the exact recipe right now but it was 12 lb Marris Otter, 1.75 lb Smoked Malt, 1.75 Vienna and then some Caramunich, Aromatic, and Special B malts. The Smoked Malt ended up being about 10% of the bill. It was a 5.5 gal batch.

I'd try liquid smoke. They make liquid smoke by simply bubbling smoke from smoldering wood chips through water, nothing artificial. You could even do it yourself.

From my experience you need a large percentage of smoke malt to get the right flavor.

I'd try liquid smoke. They make liquid smoke by simply bubbling smoke from smoldering wood chips through water, nothing artificial. You could even do it yourself.

From my experience you need a large percentage of smoke malt to get the right flavor.

+1 here.....

you might not get what your looking for from the malt. the only smoke beer i have had that was great, was when a buddy took all the malt for the batch and smoked it himself.....turned out amazing.....

i would try using liquid smoke........

Back