2nd New Jersey all grain seminar in the works

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm glad to see most people that came to the last one are all now in some stage of brewing all grain. I want to offer my garage up again for those who missed it.

My larger 3 sanke system will be up and running soon but I may keep the cooler MLT online for this one last ride just to show how all grain can be done with a budget in mind. In fact, we can even regress to countertop mashing for those who think cramped apartments force extract brewing.

Anyway, I'm most interested in getting people in that are currently either extract only, partial mashers, or brand new all grain brewers. Of course, the typical managerie of familiar NJ brewers are welcome to come for general distraction purposes as well.

I'm looking to do this some weekend in early April, like maybe Sunday the 6th but I'll be looking for interested parties' availability.

We'll stick to a known award winning recipe so that I won't feel bad about making up a crap beer.

I'm expecting some bees to come that week, but as long as they don't come on the brew day, I'll be there. I should know for sure closer to that week.

I would love to try and make the trip. I am currently an extract brewer but I purchased a 3 sanke set up off of e-bay yesterday. I am itching to set it up and use it. I plan on posting pics later today in a new thread.

I might be interested in bringing my setup as well and brewing a porter. Unfortunately, I can only make a 5 gallon batches so I won't be able to share. :(

I have to check with the wife to see if we have anything planned that day.

Bobby_M said:
Looks like I'm gonna have to make a little more room in the garage... ah, perfect excuse to clean up after a long winter of grinding metal in there.

We might get lucky with the weather.

Bobby_M said:
Looks like I'm gonna have to make a little more room in the garage... ah, perfect excuse to clean up after a long winter of grinding metal in there.

I don't want to impose, but I can do a double batch to split. I'd have to do 2 mashes though unless I have the bigger cooler by then. I have the ingredients to do Ed's Haus except for the Vienna...

I'm good no matter what. Bobby's close and I would like to stop by even if it is just to say hi and have a few brews.

heh dudes. i'm still partial mashing but as soon as i snag an appropriate cooler for an MLT, i'm going AG. i'd deffo like to come up and run through the process with you guys again, november seems like a long time, and a lot of beer, ago. 4/6 is good for me

edit: and i can bring some of my beer along for you guys to try - i would really welcome some actual feedback rather than "it's free, i'll drink it!" or "it doesn't taste like bud, i don't like it"

I checked with the boss and I am free 4/6. Just let me know what I need to bring. If I need to bring ingredients let me know ahead of time as there is no supply store closer than 70 miles and I have to order everything. I can also bring food and equipment if I have anything you need. My rig will not be complete by then mainly because I want to see one first. I can pitch in with cash if needed also.

I'll go through some of the Jamil brews to see if there's any I have the ingredients to cover. I've got plenty of maris and pils and fridge full of specialties but the hops might be the limiting factor. I have mostly Centennial and Cascade so we might be Pale/Amber bound. I have some Fuggle and Saaz but maybe not enough to do 10 gallons.

I also don't mind the guys who already have their **** together just coming down and brewing on their own. For the guys who really want to soak up the process, it might be best to let them go through the motions while we sit back and encourage. I think it is a better learning experience than doing it and having them watch.

The last time we did this, all parties involved brought a primary fermenter and literally walked away with a full batch. We brewed two back to back 10 gallon batches and split 4 ways. We each split the relative cost. I don't mind not taking a share this time so that we can concentrate on a single batch.

A side goal is to make sure a few of my near empty kegs get emptied since I can't keep cold conditioning in the garage for much longer.

Jfish, where are you driving from?

i'll definitely chip in cash - but i also have some hops like EKG (2oz) and Fuggles (2oz) if we want to use them. one of my LHBSs has a decent supply right now, i can pick up some more if needed. (they have those two and tettnanger, a good few others).

i'm flexible on taking a batch home, i don't mind if i miss out although it would be interesting to compare one of my PMs vs an AG. directly!

Bobby_M said:
A side goal is to make sure a few of my near empty kegs get emptied since I can't keep cold conditioning in the garage for much longer.

I don't think I can take part in that, sorry...;)

I've got Magnum for bittering and Amarillo, Centenniel, EKG and Mt Hood

Is 4/6 definitely the day? What time are things getting started? I'm moving so I can't take a share but would love to come down to contribute and meet some local brewers.

I'm sticking to 4/6 unless it's a total bust for most interested people. The latter 3 weeks in April are tough for me. I could also go Saturday 4/5/08.

May 3rd is National Homebrew Day so I'll be brewing somewhere with the rest of The WHALES club somewhere. No word on who's hosting this time around.

I'll talk to the wife and to Bluelou6. I'd love to come. Don't have too much that I can contribute: 8oz of Sterling and 5oz of Willamant (all hole leaf) very few grains kicking around but I could pick up some necessities from NB. Let me see what the wife says....

Bobby_M said:
Any suggestions on beer styles and who would want a 5 gallon share?

Something simple I'd say. Pale Ale or Hefeweizen would be pretty basic grain bills. I can brew 10 gallons, but I'd like to take 5...

I wouldn't mind a share if there is enough to go around, it is not a problem if there isn't. I just want to see it done and see some equipment. I will pitch in in any way needed. Ingredients are the only problem unless I have time to order them in advance. I also have fuggles and centennial rhizomes from a 5 year old ordered from an organic farm. I can bring some of those if there is an interest. I had posted them to trade for other varieties but got no takers.

works for me even though I think they a similar. I just want to diversify. I can come up with a few of each they have spread farther than I had hoped.

I am also looking forward to sneaking a peak at Bobby's brewing equipment. I am interested in building a chest freezer kegerator and a CFC.

I wouldn't mind taking a 5 gallon share if there is one. I'll pay cash for the ingredients.

I might not be able to bring my setup. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law where I keep my stuff recently lost one of their sons (He was pretty sick since he was born, but regardless it's painful.).

The less time I spend over there, the better off I am. I think they need some time to heal. Anyways, I'll be there on the 6th.

I'm flexible on taking a share, I don't mind going without as I have a good distance to get there and am not sure about transportation. Would definitely like to come up and observe again, though.

I am VERY interested in showing up and watching. I am new to brewing (only 2 extract kits, and a third is going to be brewed next weekend). But I already started building my Ice Cube MLT and want to see someone else go thru the AG process.

Bobby, I think I am pretty close to you, I am in somerset of Easton Ave?

I think me and my sister will be joining you guys if you don't mind

I just put my first batch in the primary about 3 days ago...my sister has no idea what she's doing. She's an engineer and will pick it up fast. I told her to start studying.

Hopefully we won't be too clueless.

We both love beer though

Looks like quite the turn out. I think with this many folks, we ought to nix the idea of everyone getting a share. What I'll do is come up with a simple recipe, maybe a pale ale, and just brew it while I provide as much commentary as possible. I'll foot the cost of everything obviously because I'll be keeping it. I know for the guys who are already brewing all grain, this might make the day more boring, but I don't need to preach to the choir.

If someone wants to contribute to the cause, I accept donations of interesting commercial brews (especially if you plan on pulling off the kegerator all day). Other than that, everyone can pitch in for a few pizzas somewhere around lunch time.

I'd like to shoot for 9am start.

1. I'll talk a little about using software (I have the beer tools pro beta that we can try out).
2. Mill the grain. I could do this ahead of time but it might be fun to see even though you'll probably start with pre-milled kits.
3. We'll batch sparge but I'll also show you how fly sparging would differ.
4. I'll try to use low cost/complexity water/wort management when possible instead of pumping. This isn't about showing off my toys, it's about showing you that all grain doesn't require them (even though you'll want them anyway).

Speaking of toys. Since a lot of you guys are complete strangers to me, I just want to ask you to behave in a way that doesn't make me suspecious of you. For the folks that are really really new here, I hope you won't be offended if I ask to jot down your name/address off some ID when you arrive.

Can we get a roll call..

I think the definite yes's are:
bluelou6
moonshae
jfish63
njnear76
scottD13
soulive
CD2448
Cyclingcraig
BryanZ and sister.

If you turn into a hard NO or someone else wants to come, please let me know. I'll be PMing the address when we get closer. Craig... yes, I'm right off River Rd.

Bobby_M

It all sounds fair to me. I don't care if you take a digital pic of my license, the ssn is not used anymore. I will be happy to pitch in on pizza's or whatever, the day should be costless to you. If you like pm me with beers you would like me to bring, or ones you definitely don't want to taste again. I won't bring bud, coors or miller so you don't have to worry about that. A good friend of mine has expressed interest in riding down with me if that is ok with you. He is the person that got me started brewing. I am really looking forward to this. I can't wait to finish my own set up. I am even getting a barley crusher for my birthday. Forgot to mention I will be bringing a good size centennial rhozome.

You have to take your hat off to Bobby_M for putting this on - fair play dude.

You can take a picture of my almost brand new GREEN CARD if you want to see some ID.

I'll bring some homebrew - I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.

BryanZ: we can probably travel up together, I'll PM you nearer the time.

Back