had to make the wife happy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
alright so the wife the little man and I went to our LHBS. needed a capper and dextros and some caps. we ended up walking up the soda area and she loved it the smell and everything so a light bulb flashed and i said lets get the rootbeer kit. so we walked out with the old fashioned homebrew rootbeer soda pop base that makes 4 gallons and some shampaine yeast. my question is any one use this before and have any advice or tips on making this some good pop for the wife. sorry for spellin if there is any wrong its been a long long day lol

ill try there recipe and see how it turns out and let you know in afew days

Sorry not to be able to give some recipe advice but as i understand it its super simple to make root beer so just follow the steps given and you will be enjoying the treat very soon...

can i use dextrose or is cane sugar better for soda? got both but figured i would ask first

alright first batch down made a gallon and got eleven bottles exactly. hoping for no bottle bombs wish me luck went with the amout of yeast they recomended for glass 120z bottles so should be good. tasted it before bottleing and it tasted pretty dam good think i might add an 1/8of a tea spoon vanilla extract but only time will tell. was nice and easy and got to use my new bottle capper today got the red barron made bottleing a breeze.

oh yea and i went half cane sugar and half dextrose on this batch figured why not give it a try

The difference between both sweetners is that cane sugar changes flavoring and corn sugar is basically used to raise abv without changing flavoring ...

In fermented beverages cane sugar can leave a cidery taste, also since it is a disaccharide it is harder to ferment, and the large granuals make it harder to dissolve.

I have a recipe I am quite happy with posted on the thread below. Maybe it will give you some ideas for yours. It is a very easy recipe. It is force carb'ed, but you could prime with yeast and sugar then bottle to naturally carb.

I don't like sugary sweet stuff so mine only uses DME, but you could add sugar to sweeten it up a bit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/root-beer-recipe-297882/

I have nothing to add to this thread, other than I just bought the Gnome Root Beer kit at my LHBS about a week ago for the exact same reason. Plus I love me a good root beer, so hopefully it turns out awesome! Keep us posted!

good luck was really easy to make and the sample before i bottled tasted pretty good take your time sanitize your bottles and you will be fine

There isn't a time frame for a bottle bomb otherwise it wouldn't be a problem because everyone would catch it before it happens...if you're concerned just put your vessel inside a heavy duty garbage bag (not because of the explosions but because of the glass) and you'll be fine..

Luckily, I will be kegging mine. That will cut down on possible bottle bombs, and there wont be yeast involved at all. The tricky part for me will be not to drink 5+ glasses of root beer per day!

ok thanks big cat and lol yea i made this for the wife but its going to be hard for me not to drinking them when i get home from work lol

Latest posts

Back