Sulfite alergies, can I make it without it???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I am alergic to sulfites, and therefore I cannot drink wine unless it is fully organic. I was wanting to make a hard cider, and love the taste. Can I make a good tasting, sweet but good ABV cider and be able to drink it too????

Apples do not have sulfites in them naturally. There is a very good chance that organic apple juice would also be sulfite free, just ask to be certain. If you want a higher ABV, add the sugar of your choice after the fermentation slows. This is one case where the "cidery" impact of cane sugar would not be noticed. Tom, at the Holy Canolli, just did a batch, five gallons of fresh unfiltered organic juice, followed with five pounds of cane sugar after a week. Packs a real punch!

From what I have read I will need to add some type of sulfites to stop the fermenting. Then add the sugar for sweetness, otherwise won't the sugar just ferment and create a high ABV? I will need something to stop the fermentation, is there something I can do besides sulifites??

There's a lot of bad information on the web about making cider, you seem to have come across some of it.

'Classic' cider does not have any sugar added to it at all. It's 100% apple juice, fermented, bottled/kegged as you see fit. No sulphites, no preservatives, no nothing. The yeast type you choose will influence how dry the cider comes out and the overall body to certain degree.

If you prefer a higher alc. version of a cider, then add whatever fermentable sugar you like. You can keep adding until you get to the maximum tolerance of the yeast- 14-16% for some wine yeasts.

If you want a 'sweeter' cider then you can add some non fermentable sugars like splenda in a VERY small dose. A little goes a long way.

Hope this helps.

Mikey thanks for the advice. I will try it in a half batch for the first time then go with a full batch after I get it down. Thanks again for the info.

Back