Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So today I need to transfer my pumpkin ale wort to primary but my fermometer died (at least until it sits around for a week or so to dry out). I go to petco to get a fish tank thermometer and only find ones that go down to 68F.

Me: hey, do you guys have any of these that go lower than 68?
Petco lady: why would you need to go lower than 68? (blah blah goldfish blah blah betas blah blah don't need heaters blah blah blah--she really did know her fish stuff, don't get me wrong here)
me: well I don't actually own a fish tank. I brew beer and need to monitor my fermentation temperatures. My target is 66 so I was hoping to get something that wen't a little lower.
petco lady: Ohhh (knowing nod), don't worry I won't tell anybody. Sounds like fun time (continues knowing look).
Me: ooook. Thanks anyway.

jro238 said:
So today I need to transfer my pumpkin ale wort to primary but my fermometer died (at least until it sits around for a week or so to dry out). I go to petco to get a fish tank thermometer and only find ones that go down to 68F. Me: hey, do you guys have any of these that go lower than 68? Petco lady: why would you need to go lower than 68? (blah blah goldfish blah blah betas blah blah don't need heaters blah blah blah--she really did know her fish stuff, don't get me wrong here) me: well I don't actually own a fish tank. I brew beer and need to monitor my fermentation temperatures. My target is 66 so I was hoping to get something that wen't a little lower. petco lady: Ohhh (knowing nod), don't worry I won't tell anybody. Sounds like fun time (continues knowing look). Me: ooook. Thanks anyway.

I know your pain my daughter goes to school and tells her teacher she brewed beer with daddy during the weekend. When the tell me about it I have to explain for like 10 mins that it's not illegal.

So today I need to transfer my pumpkin ale wort to primary but my fermometer died (at least until it sits around for a week or so to dry out). I go to petco to get a fish tank thermometer and only find ones that go down to 68F.

Me: hey, do you guys have any of these that go lower than 68?
Petco lady: why would you need to go lower than 68? (blah blah goldfish blah blah betas blah blah don't need heaters blah blah blah--she really did know her fish stuff, don't get me wrong here)
me: well I don't actually own a fish tank. I brew beer and need to monitor my fermentation temperatures. My target is 66 so I was hoping to get something that wen't a little lower.
petco lady: Ohhh (knowing nod), don't worry I won't tell anybody. Sounds like fun time (continues knowing look).
Me: ooook. Thanks anyway.

Nudge Nudge! say no more! say no more!

At the rate that the black market sells some of the big name sours... I would say its the current big thing. I'd venture to say the next big thing will be some adjunct like rice. Not bmc style, more like sake meets beer.
That's actually been done a couple of different ways. The general consensus is that most of them are awful....Yep, still on my "to brew" list.

There's a sign on the beer distributor I drive by every day fro work that says: Magic Hat 30.99 All Flavors.

I know what hey mean, but the wording makes me think they just make one beer and add different flavored syrups to it like a snow cone.
Maybe beer shaved ice is the next big thing. Freeze and shave some beer, then put flavored syrups on them. You could do an IPA syrup, a hefeweizen syrup, a jalapeno syrup...:fro:

You forgot one. Adjunct-holes? Or maybe Adjunkies?
I like Adjunkies, it's got a better ring. :)

and this deserves an "Oh snap." I wouldn't recommend a beer I've not had either. I'll tell what I've heard or read about it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

BudzAndSudz,RDWHAHB bruva.

edit: if it was me, I'd tried to sell her Narwhal. just because I'm an A-hole.

Sorry dudes, wasn't trying to stir the sh*t, just couldn't figure out how that recommendation came to be and from his original telling of the story it DID come across as a malicious recommendation. Anyhow, hope she enjoyed the optimator, that's definitely one of my favorite beers!

getting propane tank filled for brew day this weekend and Cletus at the UHaul asks, "so, firing up the BBQ this weekend?"

me, "no, brewing some beer"

Cletus, "whoa... cool. save me a couple mason jars"

Heard a real doozy a couple weekends ago, after ordering a nice craft Tripel (9% abv):

"That beer is awesome! But be careful, it's like drinking a whole bottle of Cabernet..."

The glass was maybe 16 ounces.

SMH

JordanThomas said:
Heard a real doozy a couple weekends ago, after ordering a nice craft Tripel (9% abv): "That beer is awesome! But be careful, it's like drinking a whole bottle of Cabernet..." The glass was maybe 16 ounces. SMH
So 9% and 16 oz is the same as 14% and 23 oz. Ok

Heard a real doozy a couple weekends ago, after ordering a nice craft Tripel (9% abv):

"That beer is awesome! But be careful, it's like drinking a whole bottle of Cabernet..."

The glass was maybe 16 ounces.

SMH

So 9% and 16 oz is the same as 14% and 23 oz. Ok

I think to your average beer drinker that downs a Bud Light in 10-15 minutes drinking a 9% beer would be quite a bit like drinking a bottle of wine.

Chances are he'll chill his six pack, sit down to watch the game and drink his Tripel the same way he swills his Co'beer.

Before he knows it he's hammered and thinking that drinking that beer was like drinking a bottle of Cab.

Just a thought

10-15 minutes is a long time for a bottle of beer. I assume you meant 10-15 seconds. A guy at work moved up from miller 55 to Amstel light partially because I told him he needed to broaden his horizons. He still believes beer is yellow fizzy stuff. He was talking about golfing and drinking 9-10 Amstel lights. I told him I was usually topped out by 4 or 5. He proceeded to call me a p*ssy, the I looked up Amstel light. 3.5%. That's when I called him a p*ssy because all the beers I was talking about drinking were 6-8%.

10-15 minutes is a long time for a bottle of beer. I assume you meant 10-15 seconds. A guy at work moved up from miller 55 to Amstel light partially because I told him he needed to broaden his horizons. He still believes beer is yellow fizzy stuff. He was talking about golfing and drinking 9-10 Amstel lights. I told him I was usually topped out by 4 or 5. He proceeded to call me a p*ssy, the I looked up Amstel light. 3.5%. That's when I called him a p*ssy because all the beers I was talking about drinking were 6-8%.

Soooooo... where you both p***ies then? :D

Halbrust said:
I resemble that remark :(
But at least I buy Negra Modelo instead of Busch Light.

I'm not a hop head, so that eliminates more than 50% of craft beers. After that I have to be exceedingly intrigued to drop $10+ on a bomber.

I've yet to have someone give a legit reason why Busch light or Nattie light is a bad choice. They sub well for water, keep better, and lead to fun jokes about sex next to liquids.

I did hear someone ask for Nattie in a bottle this weekend though. THAT was hilarious.

I used to have a cartoon showing a proctologist in an operating room with a patient on the operating table on hands and knees, ass toward the doctor at eye-level. Next to him stood a buxom nurse with a surgical instrument tray, and on the tray was an ice cold Bud Light. The doctor looked annoyed as he turned to her and said, "Nurse, I asked you for a BUTT light!"

What did it win?

perhaps the funniest thing in this thread

nat light.jpg

GrogNerd said:
maybe need to get more entries in that category next year

It appears to have had some stiff competition:

Category 34: American-Style Cream Ale, 37 Entries
Gold: Natural Ice, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO
Silver: Old Style, Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, CA
Bronze: Rainier, Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, CA

It appears to have had some stiff competition:

Category 34: American-Style Cream Ale, 37 Entries
Gold: Natural Ice, Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO
Silver: Old Style, Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, CA
Bronze: Rainier, Pabst Brewing Co., Los Angeles, CA

I have to assume that, like BJCP competitions, the judges evaluate based on flavor profile and with no knowledge of the yeast used. So like us, the breweries could enter a lager in an ale category and score a win. Guess I need to read up on Cream Ale...

I brewed a Maibock for homebrew club competition, but used an ale yeast. didn't win, place or show, but comments included "good example of style" and 2 said it was better than the calibration beer, Gordon Biersch Maibock

guess as long as it fits the profile, doesn't matter what's in it or how it's made

I brewed a Maibock for homebrew club competition, but used an ale yeast. didn't win, place or show, but comments included "good example of style" and 2 said it was better than the calibration beer, Gordon Biersch Maibock

guess as long as it fits the profile, doesn't matter what's in it or how it's made

What was the yeast and temperature?

Good to know, I may use that on my next Natty Ice Cream Ale clone ;)

I didn't have very good ferment temp control when I brewed it. FV was in the underground, unfinished part of my basement, which stays pretty cool.

but if I had to do it again, I would ferment it a little cooler

Back