Force carbing question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
Built my keezer today and I have had a hefe aging at room temp in the keg for a couple weeks. I am a noob to kegging, but I was dying to get this beer carbed up and in the keezer. I turned the regulator up to 40 pounds since the beer was at 65 degrees an did the rolling method for about ten minutes. I put the keg in the keezer and left it all afternoon and decided to try and pour one tonight, keep in mind I set the regulator down to 10 pounds, and when I poured the beer all foam..... After the foam goes away the beer is fairly flat. I need some suggestions as to what to do, and yes I know I was impatient!

Well, it's horribly over-carbed for sure. Shut off the gas, start burping the gas out of the head space every chance you get, and in a couple of days it might reach a drinkable state, at which point you can set the gas pressure to the appropriate level for the hefe at your desired serving temperature...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Well, it's horribly over-carbed for sure. Shut off the gas, start burping the gas out of the head space every chance you get, and in a couple of days it might reach a drinkable state, at which point you can set the gas pressure to the appropriate level for the hefe at your desired serving temperature...

Cheers!

Even though it's flat after the foam?

Needs to be colder.., the solubility of a gas in a liquid increases as temperature decreases hence why you want it cold... That's why you want to carb cold as well as push the gas in the out line so it bubbles through the liquid...
Resource includes my bs in chemistry

Ma23456 said:
Needs to be colder.., the solubility of a gas in a liquid increases as temperature decreases hence why you want it cold... That's why you want to carb cold as well as push the gas in the out line so it bubbles through the liquid...
Resource includes my bs in chemistry

It's chilling down as we speak... I am just confused as what to do pressure wise?

You might try turning the serving pressure way down, just enough to push beer through the line, and see if you can pour it without all foam. It tastes flat because all your CO2 is immediately escaping the liquid (the foam) when you pour. A gentler pour may do the trick. If not, thn it's just way overcarbed and you'll have to do the pressure bleed already suggested. My approach to force carb is 45-50psi for one full day, no shaking. I'll have a nice smooth carbonation after a day with normal head. For a bit more carb I leave it on a second day at about 20psi, then store around 5psi.

Thanks guys... I turned serving pressure down to like 3 pounds and still lots of foam.... I guess it's overcarbed.... I will keep purging it now that the gas is off..... Any way of know how long it will take to get to the proper level?

Let it sit for nearly a week in the fridge lots of fluids to cool then an other week at serving pressure and ur golden

I always force carb my beer, but I don't like the rolling method. I set my beer to 30 psi for 36-48 hours, bleed all the pressure off, then let it sit for a bit at 10 psi. I've never had any over-carbed beer.

Back