Am I crazy, jumping in so fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifthcircle

Reaction score
First batch a month ago, american pale ale extract kit.

Second batch a few weeks ago, none more black vanilla stout recipe from here.

Third batch was Sunday, my own extract recipe converted and tweaked from a friends IPA.

The APA is drinkable, but kinda bitter. The stout tasted amazing at bottling time. Can't wait to get my rapidly fermenting IPA into the secondary and dry hopping!

I love this stuff!!! :ban:

So, I am thinking about going all grain ASAP. Should I slow my roll, or blaze on whilst throwing caution to the wind?

I did 3 extract batches and then right to all grain. I don't see a problem with what your doing and thinking. Home-brewing is addicting and if your happy with what your brewing and the outcome then I say go for it! All grain has definitely challenged me more than extract did and there's a bunch more cool equipment which was fun to build. At least that is how I feel about it.

i went all-grain on my second batch. My first batch was Partial-mash. I say go for it. Once you do all-grain you will wonder why you waited this long in the first place.

I use this method: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/ and get about 70% efficiency on my stove. I do have to do 4 gallon batches though, no biggie. Movin' out to the garage on a burner soon for the 5 gallon.

I would do some partial mash batches first. there's a lot more involved in all grain and partial mash is where most figure it out. there's no harm in trying tho. it'll cost a few bucks to get all grain equipment and some potential bad batches from the learning curve

Blaze on. If you have the money for the equipment, and the time to do it, go all grain. All grain takes a bit longer to do.

Go for it. I did about 10 extract batches before making the jump. Was nervous as hell the first time out, then quickly realized that it wasn't a big deal. As long as you can keep the temps between 145 and 160 for 45 minutes or so, you'll make beer. So the most likely worst case scenario is you end up with a beer that's about .010 off in OG. Not great, but nothing to sweat either.

That said, be conservative about your efficiency when planning your brew. If you're not milling your own grain, the best you can expect is the mid to high 60s. And if you haven't yet, do a search and read BobbyM's all grain primer.

If you love it, you'll do a fine job. It sounds like you're really into it and you've had some success and in my mind there is no reason to ever feel as though you have to start with extract-brewing or work your way up. The only way to learn is to do your homework and give it a shot. Brewing can be as complicated as you make it, but at the end of the day it's a relatively simple set of processes. It is, after all, a centuries(millenniums)-old activity and people were doing it long before any inking of a scientific understanding (not to mention the sanitation conditions and archaic equipment).

I say go for it!

I am familiar with the all grain process, as my friend has been brewing for 20someodd years, and I brewed a batch with him. Fun stuff. I will see how these two latest beers turn out and plan out my all grain equipment purchases for 2012. My birthday is Jan24, so maybe I can brew my first all grain that week.

My might find the steam infusion mash thread over in the DIY section interesting. You can basically construct a fairly inexpensive system that will perform step mashing and only require a high volume kettle and a single burner (propane).

I started with all grain, never done an extract. The first time I learned how to do an extract I was disillusioned to say the least...didn't seem as "fun"

I did 3 extract batches and then right to all grain. I don't see a problem with what your doing and thinking. Home-brewing is addicting and if your happy with what your brewing and the outcome then I say go for it! All grain has definitely challenged me more than extract did and there's a bunch more cool equipment which was fun to build. At least that is how I feel about it.

Pretty much same story here. I would add that it is very easy to empty your wallet with this hobby but luckily its mainly all start up costs.

If you think you understand the basic concept of mashing, then just do it.

I don't know anyone who went AG and wondered why they didn't do it a long time before.

I did 5 extract batches than went to all grain. I say go for it. Do your research and read the stickies in the all grain forum. Figure out your process and write it out before starting. Water chemistry and temps are much more important with all grain. Get a good quality digital thermometer. Use bottled spring and RO water until you get your water chemistry figured out

I don't ever remember reading, "Boy, I sure do wish that I hadn't jumped into all-grain so quickly" on here. Lots of people say, "boy, I wish I had gotten into all-grain sooner" though.

Or maybe because the people that say that they hated the all-grain experience don't post on here anymore because of the incredible shame they feel at failing miserably at all-grain.

Anyway, yeah...do your homework on equipment and process. It's a learning curve for most people. Some lucky jerks get it right the first time. After our fourth all-grain batch, I think we got it down perfectly.

I did a Mr. Beer kit about 4 or 5 years ago. I then went back and forth if I wanted to make beer or not. Once I decided, I spent about $800 on gear before even attempting my first batch and I went all grain right away.

no reason not to jump right into all-grain, if you have the $$$. That said, getting your yeast handling and fermentation temperatures under control is likely to have more of an impact on the final product for many styles of beer.

I've done 3 extract batches in 3 weeks and will probably build a mash tun over my Christmas break and start all-grain. I've spent a lot of time in kitchens and using extracts makes me feel like I'm reheating food as opposed to actually cooking it.

Go for it! I'm right behind you!

I went all-grain recently after five extract batches. I disagree with whomever said to aim low with your efficiency. I planned for 70% but hit 76% despite a miscalculation with my strike temps. My porter may straddle the imperial line. I'm okay with that, though.

Here was my progession:

1st brew = Cider
2nd brew = Extract
3rd brew = Extract full boil
4th brew = BIAB All Grain.

There was about 2-3 month between the 1st and 4th brews, during which time I ended up buying a Blichmann 10gal, propane burner, 30ft IC, 3 glass carboys, wine fridge for ferm chamber, bottling tree, and numerous other odds and ends.

I haven't looked back and am having the time of my life!

Same as many others - 2 extract batches, then AG.

My only problem with going AG was building the Mash Tun, building a manifold for the Mash Tun (I used cut copper piping) and figuring out a 3 tier gravity setup. And converting two kegs into my keggle and HLT. (Thankful for a friend that works for a distributor on that one, and had scrap kegs)

So the only negative was doing all of that. Once you have the equipment, plenty of good instructions for the process.

Do it!
I brewed twice (2 partial mashes) then went All Grain and the first batch went smoothly. I spent a few weeks researching the process on these forums and jumped right in. The smell of mashing grains is heavenly and doesn't take too much longer than partial mash.

Cheers!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Home Brew Talk

I've done 3 extract batches in 3 weeks and will probably build a mash tun over my Christmas break and start all-grain. I've spent a lot of time in kitchens and using extracts makes me feel like I'm reheating food as opposed to actually cooking it.

Go for it! I'm right behind you!

:ban::mug:

I did 2 extra kits that came with my initial brew kit package. They were drinkable, but terrible compared to the AG stuff I'm rolling out now. I did my first batch in September and now December 14th have made 8 batches, 6 AG, have a 6 tap keezer, fermentation fridge, 6 carboys, and grain mill.

Faster you progress the faster you drink better beer. All-grain is so interesting and fun.

Never throw caution to the wind (in brewing- in all other things I advise throwing caution to the wind almost every time) but you can certainly go all grain without doing that.

The answer is BIAB. All-grain with none of the investment and all of the results. If you have a big pot and a huge boil kettle, you can even BIAB barleywines (provided your bag is strong enough). Even if you do move on to MLT, HLT, etc etc wtf bbq, you can use BIAB as an introduction to mashing and (if you choose) batch sparging.

1 batch extract with specialty grains, 2 partial mash & AG right after that.

I thought I would screw up my first AG, but it turned out awesome! Definitely spend the money on temperature control when you upgrade. I figured if I'm going to spend the extra time going AG, I want to make sure I have done everything in my power to make it perfect.

Short story - do it. It is so much more fun and rewarding!

1 batch extract with specialty grains, 2 partial mash & AG right after that.

I thought I would screw up my first AG, but it turned out awesome! Definitely spend the money on temperature control when you upgrade. I figured if I'm going to spend the extra time going AG, I want to make sure I have done everything in my power to make it perfect.

Short story - do it. It is so much more fun and rewarding!

Definitely Temp Control. Your beer will go from drinkable to really freakin' good/awesome with a mini-fridge or chest freezer and temp controller.

Thought I should bump this thread and say, I did it! :)

Rectangular cooler MLT, and 10gal stainless kettle. Just put my first all grain batch in bottles, and my third batch in the fermenter. That third batch is going to a local home brew competition against 21 other brewers for the chance to brew it at a local brewery and have it on tap at their brew pubs. I don't expect to win, but I'm having fun!!

Back