Munich Oktoberfest 2011

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steinsato

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well for Christmas my girlfriends parents told us they want to take us to Germany, and knowing that Oktoberfest in on my "to do" list they thought we should go in mid Sept. I've been to Munich before but I was only 17 and it wasn't during Oktoberfest. What are some "must do's" while I'm there. Do you need to buy tickets or anything like that in advance to get into the tents or just show up early? I thought seeing the official tapping of the keg by the mayor would be fun to see but it looks like the tent they do that in is pretty small so I don't know if that is possible. We certainly will not spend more than a couple days in the actual tents and will then want to do some touring of the country. Help me out. I want to get a decent plan of what we should do while we are there. Thanks

If you would like to have a fun experience, I would DEFINITELY reserve tent space. (I recommend the Augustiner one.)

I went the last two years, and was lucky to get into a tent this year. If you don't get in one, you're not going to have fun. It was an hour wait in line, but we were able to get in. It helps to have a hot chick with you, let me tell ya. If you want to leave it up to chance, you can go that route. But I still recommend a reservation.

I was there this past year. It was busier because it was the 200th anniversary. I'm not sure you can reserve a space unless your a big group. I went with two other guys and we were able to get some seats. Weekends are tough. Try and get there early. beeramateur is right, Augustiner is a great tent. The beer is amazing.. Paulaner is also good. Hofbrau is fun. It's a younger crowd. Make sure you go to Traditional weisen. It's in the back of the park..Great beer.

This link gives some good info..http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/

Try and go to the Andechs Monastery. Next to Augustiner, this was my favorite beer.. The Weinstephaner Brewery is about 1/2 hour outside of Munich. It's the oldest brewery in the world. Fun tour. There's so many things to do in and around Munich.

There will only be 4 of us, how do you go about reserving seats and is it already too late for that?

Edit: I looked into reservations. From what I can tell you need 10 people to reserve a table and you have to purchase atleast 20 euros worth of food coupons per person as well. Looks like I can't reserve seats since we don't have 10 people. A buddy of mine was there a few years ago without seats and he said it was impossible to get a beer without a seat. If you go earlier in the day during the week (not the weekends) is it safe to assume you can find seats for 2 people?

I've been to Oktoberfest twice now (2008 & 2010).

Getting a seat isn't difficult at all if you keep a couple things in mind. First, I suggest visiting the festival on weekdays as weekends are much busier. Second, get there early. I try to get there around lunch or in the early afternoon. Many tables are reserved after 4:00pm but before then you can sometimes sit at a reserved spot. I make a bee line for the Paulaner Armbrustschützenzelt tent and grab some lunch: A half chicken (halb hendl), pretzel and a couple liters of beer. After lunch is the time to explore the tents and scope out in which one you want to settle down for the long haul. I recommend choosing your tent and finding your (unreserved) seat by around 3:00 - 3:30 as things really start to get busy quick and you don't want to find yourself without a seat or worse, locked out of a tent. You won't get served if you don't have a seat. And when the tents get full they close the entrances.

As for things to do besides the festival...

In or around Munich
  • Andechs Monastery & Brewery
  • English gardens
  • Viktualenmarkt
  • Museums

Day trips
  • Day trip to Neueschwanstein Castle
  • Day trip to Eagles Nest
  • Day trip to Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Mittenwald

Thanks, I'm planning on hitting up Oktoberfest on a Mon. and Tues, My girlfriend and I will get there in the morning to ensure we can get some seats. I really have no problem with drinking before noon :drunk:

I think the festival opens at 11:00am.

Last year, after 7 liters of beer on the first night, I had to take a day off.

:cross:

Getting old I guess.

I also went last year and really enjoyed it. If you get there earlier enough ( like others said early afternoon) you should be able to find enough room for 4 people. I would also suggest going to the Augustiner tent as it is the best beer in my opinion (and seems like others as well)

Back