Lager Yeast and temp how Important

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnyard

Reaction score
I’m new to brewing. I Have a Mr. Beer kit that I have made 5 batches of beer that have turned out good. I started reading about yeast and not using the yeast under the cap. So I made a Cowboy Lager and used S-23 dry Lager yeast. I made the batch fermented it for 14 days bottled it and held off 32 days before I put on in the fridge to test it out. When I popped it open it was flat. Had a few bubbles in and no head what so ever. So I started reading about lagers. I think my problem is temp. The room that I have my beer is 74 deg. So how big of a problem is this.
Kevin

Having never done a Mr. Beer, I don't know how you carbonate your beer, I would assume sugar of some sort. Temperature will not affect how your beer carbonates.

How your beer tastes is a very different story. S23 is most comfortable around 45 degrees. Having it 30 degrees higher than that won't kill the yeast or make it not work, but your beer has a very high chance of gathering some weird tasting stuff.

Perhaps someone with some more Mr. Beer experience can help you with why it didn't carbonate, but all I can tell you is the reason is probably not temperature.

so what would be my next step should i get more yeast and open the bottles and add more yeast to it? I was thinking about doing that. I put them in flip-tops so it would not be that hard.

Back