Dropped my cell phone into Boiling Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zombie thread time.

I just did the same damned thing. I have insurance on the phone, so it could be worse. Funny thing is, this is my first extract batch in probably 2 years, and THAT'S when this stuff happens.

My wife's asleep on the couch though. So I don't know how long I'll be alive when she wakes up :drunk:

Zombie thread time.

I just did the same damned thing. I have insurance on the phone, so it could be worse. Funny thing is, this is my first extract batch in probably 2 years, and THAT'S when this stuff happens.

My wife's asleep on the couch though. So I don't know how long I'll be alive when she wakes up :drunk:

My brewing time ends up like this minus the phone addition to the wort *crosses fingers while frantically searching for wood to knock

I did kinda the same thing last year. I was up at the new(er) Bundy's beverage shop looking at the craft beer when a call came in on my cell. Whipped it out,flipped it open,& got a twitch in my hand (darn arthritis!) & dropped it. Battery case broke open on the back. All this while I was gettin ready to reach for a 6'r...

I did kinda the same thing last year. I was up at the new(er) Bundy's beverage shop looking at the craft beer when a call came in on my cell. Whipped it out,flipped it open,& got a twitch in my hand (darn arthritis!) & dropped it. Battery case broke open on the back. All this while I was gettin ready to reach for a 6'r...

I tend to destroy electronics, so I always have my phone in a pretty heavy case. I've dropped it plenty without damage. But even that won't help against 212 degree boiling wort.

I might just want to get one of those heavy duty grade phones (the military/construction ones). The ones that are rated to survive underwater up to several meters.

In the mean time, my phone is sitting in a bag of rice. I hope that does the trick. I know it'll often work for water, but I'm not so sure about wort.

Zombie thread time.

Wow, it really is necrothread Tuesday! When you say 'same thing' as OP, did you use some thongs to get your phone out and if so flip-flops or underpants? :D

Wow, it really is necrothread Tuesday! When you say 'same thing' as OP, did you use some thongs to get your phone out and if so flip-flops or underpants? :D

As discussed in the "what do you wear while brewing" thread, I enjoy brewing barefoot and commando. I'll let you figure the rest out :ban:

In all seriousness, fished it out with a mash paddle, but it was in there a good 20 seconds. On when it fell in, too. Yanked the battery and dried everything off ASAP, but the screen looked pretty f'ed before I got the battery out. So I don't have high hopes, but I've seen the rice bag work wonders before.

adamkul said:
So I was taking a picture of the wort and I accidentally dropped my cell phone into the boiling wort. I quickly got it out within 10-20 seconds with some thongs.

Do you think my beer is fine? I am worried about any chemicals that may have seeped into it.

Yea I know stupid move :(

I read this to my teenage daughter and she said, "He dropped his phone and he's worried about his beer?!"

I responded, "Of course! He's a homebrewer!"

That's a homebrewer, drops his cell phone in the boiling wort and wants to know if his beer will be okay.:rockin:

Ha!

Well, at least it was boiling. It really would have sucked during the cooling/yeast pitching phase.

Yeah. It's totally sanitary. Cool your phone and pitch. Only problem is it will always be drunk dialing.

Are we still talking about phones?

Don't forget to add an ingredient in your recipe.

Steeped phone for 5 minutes at @ 30 minutes.

When the recipe called for Galaxy, it meant the hops, not the phone...

Hah. I didn't think of that one. Given that my wort killed my Galaxy (or at least mortally wounded it, still sitting in its rice bag ICU), I'm thinking Galaxy needs to go in the name somewhere, even though there's no Galaxy in it. That should throw people for a loop :ban:

I read this to my teenage daughter and she said, "He dropped his phone and he's worried about his beer?!"

I responded, "Of course! He's a homebrewer!"
I just did the same thing with my phone! Dropped it in cool wort before the yeast and worried more about my beer than my phone, lol! Hopefully beer turns out!

I just did the same thing with my phone! Dropped it in cool wort before the yeast and worried more about my beer than my phone, lol! Hopefully beer turns out!
Too many microbes on an un-sanitized phone. Recommend you bring the wort back up to a boil, or at least to a pasteurization temperature, let it cool once again and pitch fresh yeast.

Back