1.032 Barleywine + Champagne Yeast = Fear of bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IFP

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone else has ever done this...

I have a batch of Barleywine that started at 1.112 and seems to have finished at 1.032 using a starter of WL001 plus a packet of safale 05.
Most of it is going to be kegged and force carbed, but I wanted to have a few bottle-conditioned bottles for aging, so I filled some 22ox bottles, placed 2 coopers carb drops in them, and capped them. I opened one to test it several weeks later, and there was no carbonation. So I got some dry champagne yeast and put a pinch of that into each bottle and re-capped.

Then I got paranoid. I started worrying about the champ yeast fermenting down much more than just the priming sugar and exploding the bottles. So, 2 weeks later, I have uncapped the bottles (they were pretty dang carbonated already!) and placed a piece of sanitized foil over the opening - I am going to let these things go for a little while like this, where I don't have to worry about pressure buildup. After some time (not sure how long?) when I'm convinced that they have gone as far as they will go and all the BWs are completely still, I will place more carb drops and recap for good.

Any one else ever done this? Does it sound reasonable? Was I right to be paranoid?

1.032 sounds about right for a beer with that high of SG. I would have left them alone.

The thing you have to remember next time is...something like a Barley wine is NOT going to be ready in 4-6 weeks for drinking. It probably won't even be carbonated yet. High gravity beers take a lot of time to carb. I would have guessed around 6 months would have been a good time to test. Next time, just let them sit.

You're saying you would have left them alone after the initial priming and bottling, yes? I think I will do that next time. I'm pretty convinced that the champ yeast is chewing it down below 1.032, as there was considerable carbonation after only 2 weeks, and now with the foil over the opening there's still a constant ring of yeast and light foam in the bottleneck at the top of the liquid.

I'm still hoping these will be OK though if I just let the champ yeast finish doing its thing, then re-prime with carb drops and re-cap. My thinking is that I shouldn't have to worry too much about oxidation since a) there is foil over the opening and b) there's CO2 pushing out. I'm also going to fill a few bottles from the keg once it's carbed and compare it side-by-side to one of the bottle conditioned bottles about a year down the road. I'm curious what the results will be, though I'm pretty sure these bottle-conditioned ones are going to be drier because of the champagne yeast.

Latest posts

Back