Going to Munich Oktoberfest Next Tuesday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrawford

Reaction score
Just found a cheap ticket kayak.com and I booked it to Oktoberfest leaving 9/22. I'm going with my girlfriend we plan on going to Munich for Wed, Thur, and Friday morning and then seeing some other parts of southern Germany. We are going to rent a car for 4 days and are thinking spend Friday afternoon and Saturday day down in southern Bavaria to see some castles. Then Sunday and Monday maybe go to Bamberg for a 4 brewery beer hike to drink some smoked beers.

What are something things we shouldn't miss?
What are your favorite breweries?
What tent should we hit up on Thursday for the day at Oktoberfest?
Please tell me all the stuff I have to see while I'm there.

Thanks!
-Patrick

I'm going too, but I'm leaving tomorrow and only staying through next Wednesday. The one thing I'm planning to do that I don't see on your list is the monastary in Andechs (just outside of Munich). I hear great things...

You'll like Andechs...been there about 4-5 times.

OP: I worked in Bamberg for 5 years, lived about 11 miles south of there in Altendorf at the Buttenheim exit. The St. Georgenbrauerei is in Buttenheim...right down the street from Levi Strauss' birth house.

Breweries in Bamberg are the Maisel, Geifenklau (Griffin's Claw), Fassla, Schlecklerla, Special (across the street from the Fassla), Klosterbrau, and others.

I went in 2001 and had a blast. My suggestions would to hit every tent, not just one.
I think Paulaner was my favorite. Get there early and sit anywhere. Strike up a conversation with any and everyone sitting next to you. Most everyone, speaks english. As for surrounding sites to see:

Neuschwanstein castle(must see) is close by, along with the Dachau concentration camp

Andechs is pretty awesome but is at least a full morning or afternoon trip. Take some time and hike around the town, try some great beer and their cheese too.

You really can't go wrong. Have fun!

Great tips thanks guys. I also heard Bamburg has a good brewing museum.

If I get there early during the week I'll have no problem getting into a tent right? BeerCigars, do you think we'll be able to hop tents in the afternoon and at night or just afternoon?

If I get there early during the week I'll have no problem getting into a tent right? BeerCigars, do you think we'll be able to hop tents in the afternoon and at night or just afternoon?

It gets harder at night. You have a better chance since you are going during the week. Give it a shot, if you cant get into one, then move onto the next. Hofbrau is by far the busiest but most touristy. Lots of Americans, who wants that when going to Oktoberfest in Munich! You are not missing out if you skip it all together.

Hippodrom — One of the smaller tents, it's the first tent that many visitors see at the fest. As well as serving normal Wiesn beer, it has a Sekt (sparkling wine) bar and Maß of Weißbier. Considered one of the trendiest tents, and attracts the occasional celebrity. Traditionally in the evening the Oktoberfest band the Münchner Zwietracht plays all the Oktoberfestclassics.
Armbrustschützenzelt — Translates as the "Crossbow Shooters Tent", a competition that has been a part of the Oktoberfest since 1895.
Hofbräu-Festzelt — The counterpart to the famous Hofbräuhaus, this tent is especially popular with Americans, Australians and New Zealanders.
Hacker-Festzelt — One of the largest tents on the Wiesn, they have a rock band that plays from 5:30 each evening (as opposed to the traditional brass band). This tent is also known as "Himmel der Bayern" (Heaven of Bavaria)
Schottenhamel — Reckoned to be the most important tent at the Oktoberfest, mainly because it is where it starts. On the first Saturday of the event, no beer is allowed to be served until the mayor of Munich (currently Christian Ude) taps the first keg, at 12pm. Only then can the other tents begin to serve beer. Very popular amongst younger people.
Winzerer Fähndl — This tent is noted for its huge tower, with a Maß of Paulaner beer sitting atop it.
Schützen-Festhalle — This is a mid-sized tent. Situated under the Bavaria statue, the current tent was newly built in 2004.
Käfers Wiesen Schänke — The smallest tent at the Oktoberfest, it is frequented by celebrities, and is known for its especially good food. In contrast to the other tents (which must close by 11pm), it is open until 0:30am, but it can be very difficult to get in.
Weinzelt — This tent offers a selection of more than 15 wines, as well as Weißbier.
Löwenbräu-Festhalle — Above the entrance is a 4.50 meter (15 foot) lion who occasionally drinks from his beer. This is overshadowed by another tower where another drinking lion sits.
Bräurosl (Hacker-Pschorr) — Named after the daughter of the original brewery owner (Pschorr), this tent has the usual brass band and a yodeler.
Augustiner-Festhalle — Considered by many locals to be the best tent, due to the fact it sells the favourite local brew, Augustiner, from individually tapped wooden kegs rather than stainless steel vats used by the other tents.
Ochsenbraterei — True to its name, this tent offers a great variety of ox dishes.
Fischer Vroni — Another of the smaller tents. Fisch is the German word for fish and this tent carries a huge selection in its menu.

The Franconianbrauerei Museum is located at St Michelsberg (the large church on the hill). If you drive up the hill to the Dom (catherdral) and make a left at the Residenz it'll wind around to the church. When you enter the gate it's off to your left. I have one of their membership signs.

Another tip: If you are going to buy some trachten, go to the Kaufhoff on Marienplatz. You will save a bunch and get some good stuff. Much of the trachten sold around the city is either nice (i.e., very expensive) or crappy tourist stuff. The department store oldly enough has a good range of things in a ton of styles and a good range of prices.

Don't get mad at me if they aren't the best, I bought mine during the summer not during O-fest.

Another tip: If you are going to buy some trachten, go to the Kaufhoff on Marienplatz. You will save a bunch and get some good stuff. Much of the trachten sold around the city is either nice (i.e., very expensive) or crappy tourist stuff. The department store oldly enough has a good range of things in a ton of styles and a good range of prices.

Don't get mad at me if they aren't the best, I bought mine during the summer not during O-fest.

"Trachten", btw, is "costume", as in "lederhosen" and such. ;)

Yep... I should note, if you are loaded, there is a really nice shop for dirndl and hosen (men's and women's costumes) right around the corner from the Hofbrauhaus. They had the best stuff I could find in a day shopping around the city, draw back was the massive price you pay for the real deal. My BIL and his wife bought there stuff there, it is unreal nice.

My personal favorite in Munchen is Augustiner Brau - great brew, but they all taste pretty fantastic in a huge beer tent with a big plate of bratwurst and oompah music in the background....good times.

It gets harder at night. You have a better chance since you are going during the week. Give it a shot, if you cant get into one, then move onto the next. Hofbrau is by far the busiest but most touristy. Lots of Americans, who wants that when going to Oktoberfest in Munich! You are not missing out if you skip it all together.

Hippodrom — One of the smaller tents, it's the first tent that many visitors see at the fest. As well as serving normal Wiesn beer, it has a Sekt (sparkling wine) bar and Maß of Weißbier. Considered one of the trendiest tents, and attracts the occasional celebrity. Traditionally in the evening the Oktoberfest band the Münchner Zwietracht plays all the Oktoberfestclassics.
Armbrustschützenzelt — Translates as the "Crossbow Shooters Tent", a competition that has been a part of the Oktoberfest since 1895.
Hofbräu-Festzelt — The counterpart to the famous Hofbräuhaus, this tent is especially popular with Americans, Australians and New Zealanders.
Hacker-Festzelt — One of the largest tents on the Wiesn, they have a rock band that plays from 5:30 each evening (as opposed to the traditional brass band). This tent is also known as "Himmel der Bayern" (Heaven of Bavaria)
Schottenhamel — Reckoned to be the most important tent at the Oktoberfest, mainly because it is where it starts. On the first Saturday of the event, no beer is allowed to be served until the mayor of Munich (currently Christian Ude) taps the first keg, at 12pm. Only then can the other tents begin to serve beer. Very popular amongst younger people.
Winzerer Fähndl — This tent is noted for its huge tower, with a Maß of Paulaner beer sitting atop it.
Schützen-Festhalle — This is a mid-sized tent. Situated under the Bavaria statue, the current tent was newly built in 2004.
Käfers Wiesen Schänke — The smallest tent at the Oktoberfest, it is frequented by celebrities, and is known for its especially good food. In contrast to the other tents (which must close by 11pm), it is open until 0:30am, but it can be very difficult to get in.
Weinzelt — This tent offers a selection of more than 15 wines, as well as Weißbier.
Löwenbräu-Festhalle — Above the entrance is a 4.50 meter (15 foot) lion who occasionally drinks from his beer. This is overshadowed by another tower where another drinking lion sits.
Bräurosl (Hacker-Pschorr) — Named after the daughter of the original brewery owner (Pschorr), this tent has the usual brass band and a yodeler.
Augustiner-Festhalle — Considered by many locals to be the best tent, due to the fact it sells the favourite local brew, Augustiner, from individually tapped wooden kegs rather than stainless steel vats used by the other tents.
Ochsenbraterei — True to its name, this tent offers a great variety of ox dishes.
Fischer Vroni — Another of the smaller tents. Fisch is the German word for fish and this tent carries a huge selection in its menu.

FWIW, I believe I've had a beer in every one of those tents except for the wine and fish one...I'm not a fish person (although I have taken pictures of the "fish in a stick")...and I prefer beer over wine!! :mug:

I'll be retired next year. Maybe I'll head back as a tour guide...;)

Hey -

My bavairian adventure was great I went with my girlfriend and we had a awesome time. With 2 people at Oktoberfest its easy to switch tents, come in late and do whatever you want. No need to reserve tables ahead of time. We came back with tons of friends from all over the world. I sugest going if you like a good drinking party.

First 2 days in Munich, a full day of Oktoberfest.

Then headed up to bamberg and into the country side for a wonderful beer hike in aufsess to 4 different breweries. One of my favorites was Katy Brau.

Then down to the crazy neuschwanstein castle. An into the alps for a day of hiking.

It was a quick trip of only 7 days but just amazing. I've been brewing only german lagers since i've been back.

Here are my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/prcrawford/Bavaria09#

Wow, your photos are great, I really enjoyed flipping through them. I really wish I could make such a trip! Perhaps that will go on my bucket list...

Thanks for the update!

Hey -

My bavairian adventure was great I went with my girlfriend and we had a awesome time. With 2 people at Oktoberfest its easy to switch tents, come in late and do whatever you want. No need to reserve tables ahead of time. We came back with tons of friends from all over the world. I sugest going if you like a good drinking party.

First 2 days in Munich, a full day of Oktoberfest.

Then headed up to bamberg and into the country side for a wonderful beer hike in aufsess to 4 different breweries. One of my favorites was Katy Brau.

Then down to the crazy neuschwanstein castle. An into the alps for a day of hiking.

It was a quick trip of only 7 days but just amazing. I've been brewing only german lagers since i've been back.

Here are my pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/prcrawford/Bavaria09#

We did the castle before heading to Oktoberfest. Looks like we probably passed each other on the Autobahn. Once I organize my pics I will toss them up.

Back