Efficiency Calculation: include non-fermentable adjuncts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
Using Palmers efficiency calculation, should I include non-fermentables like Flaked Oats in the total poundage of the grain bill, or exclude them?

I just brewed a stout using 1lb of oats in the receipe. Total GB including oats was 12.25lb, which gives me a efficiency of 29.7 prior to boil. If I don't count the oats, that gets me 31.3. I'm stoked about either number, but not sure which one counts.

12.25lb (1lb oats), yield 7.75 gals @ 1.047 (after temp adjustment).

How then, do I calculate the my percentage efficiency?

I don't think I understand what you're asking. Oats provide fermentable sugars after the mash, just as barley does. So do corn, rice, and other adjuncts. They are part of the mash, and contibute to the OG of the beer.

I'm a noob. I thought the oats only added silkyness or mouthfeel.. You taught me something there. Thanks!

How do I determine my "brewhouse efficiency" from the numbers I got today?

Brewers friend (goggle it) has a brewhouse efficiency caluclator that's easy to use.

Efficiency is extraction efficiency. It doesn't matter if the sugars are fermentable or not.

Latest posts

Back