Wife thinks wine taste like beer....WTH!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barracudamagoo

Reaction score
Thieved some of my strawberry wine to get a SG reading (0.994) and decided to give it a little taste. I think it is fine; however, the wife thinks it tastes like beer. I had this same problem with EdWort's Apfelwein, her and mom thought it tasted like beer. So am I missing something, could it be the yeast I'm using (Cote de Blanc), or is it just going to need to sit and mellow out? I'm thinking that it could just be a yeasty sort of flavor she is picking up, and she is equating it with beer. I personally didn't pick anything up, just a hint of strawberries and the strong presence of alcohol. Me, I'm gonna RDWHAHB; it just means more wine for me, muhahaha! What say you?

Well Cote de Blanc is a wee estery, that might be it.

It could be just green and yeasty that she is picking up on, or maybe she knows it is homemade and that is effecting her judgements.

That is what I am hoping. I know the apfelwein was green when we plowed through it; therefore, I am hoping that is the case with the strawberry wine. I didn't mention it earlier, but it's only about 20 days old, so I'm certain it is very green. I'll check it again in about a month.

maybe she does not know what beer taste like, is she a drinker?
when was the last time she drank a full flavored non lite beer?
maybe she is not qualified to acurately judge.
how could anyone think that wine taste like beer, there is no malt or hops in there!

unless ther idea of beer is bud lite.
maybe you should do some side by side comparistions
get a stout like guinness , an nice brown ale like new casle , and ipa
a nice bitter or what ever , so you can get some taste standers and guildlines.

She is not a beer drinker; however, she is a wine drinker. According to her, my wine, at best, does not taste like wine. I have to agree with snickasarusrex, I think it is too green and she's picking up a yeasty flavor. Agreed, there are no hops or malt in there so I don't know why she thinks beer.

20 days? yeah there is a ton of yeast in suspension. Let that sit for a few months.

My wife is the same, some women will find fault with everything their husbands do. Best to just keep making wine, enjoy it and share with friends who appreciate something a bit different. You will never convince her yours is good unless it tastes like Chateau Lafite. It isn't worth the discouragement.

is it clear? if it is clear then there is not tons of yeast in suspintion.

it is the malic acid, give it some time the malic acid and malates
will sofen in to lactic acid, in 6 months it will be much better

Back