Reinheitsgebot double standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nowadays it is just a law for ingredients and beer brewed and sold on Germany still has to follow that law.

That is incorrect. If it were still the case, 3 out of 5 German beers on the shelf wouldn't be hefeweizens and kristallweizens becuase wheat was prohibited. Breweries nowdays put it on their labels primarily as a marketing tool.

That is incorrect. If it were still the case, 3 out of 5 German beers on the shelf wouldn't be hefeweizens and kristallweizens becuase wheat was prohibited. Breweries nowdays put it on their labels primarily as a marketing tool.

Yeah, but the laws are still pretty goofy, because wheat and rye beers can only be fermented with ale yeasts, and not lager yeasts. That is difficult to rationalize.

I must say I'm impressed with the response. I will also say that maybe I need to re-look at my view point. Give me that adjunct and let's brew beer.

erichsmith said:
I must say I'm impressed with the response. I will also say that maybe I need to re-look at my view point. Give me that adjunct and let's brew beer.

Strictly speaking, an adjunct is just an unmalted grain(?) used in the mash. A wheat beer made with malted wheat doesn't contain any adjuncts.

As far as "anti-adjunct" goes, I'd imagine the reason behind that thinking would be a matter of confusing taste with process. The big producers of tasteless American lager famously use a large proportion of (cheaper) adjuncts, but those beers are also meant to be mostly tasteless. Adjuncts need not diminish taste, and can add flavors and qualities that are otherwise unobtainable.

Strictly speaking, an adjunct is just an unmalted grain(?) used in the mash. A wheat beer made with malted wheat doesn't contain any adjuncts.

Not necessarily. Fruits, vegetables, sugars, spices, and flavor additives like spruce and wormwood are all adjuncts.

ICWiener said:
Not necessarily. Fruits, vegetables, sugars, spices, and flavor additives like spruce and wormwood are all adjuncts.

Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was restricted to grains or not. But still, you're making my point. Adjuncts are not bad.

Back