Playon (ditching cable....again)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Waiting on my roku, but have playon on a PC and the wii.

At a glance, it reminds me that Netflix for the wii is one of the most amazing interfaces ever. A work of art.

That aside......

Some of the channels just have "clips" or 2 minute bits of shows.....wtf?

ESPN3 appears to show live sporting events, cool.

Waiting on the roku, hoping it opens a whole lot more.

Playon for wii is kinda like hulu for wii. So pitiful next to netflix, I would be amazed if anyone used it.

Got the roku! Watched a free hot lesbian vampire flick (poor resolution) and then got season 3 of The walking dead for $1.99.

Would I have been happier if it was free? Yes, but not by much!

How are you liking it? Thinking about getting one for the Brewspace in the garage. I currently have an apple tv for the living room and love it, however I was looking at the Roku for more of a TV experience than movie.

ROKU is AWESOME!!! So much free stuff. I started a Roku thread.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/good-roku-streaming-376098/

Jury is out on PLAYON. Lifetime membership and free shipping of ROKU for basically th eprice of a ROKU makes playon worth it.

You have to have a computer running to run playon. Not a huge hassle, but the ROKU works all by it's little self.

Roku has an endless amount of cool stuff. From free movies to free beer brewing episodes ot TV shows from other countries.

Having a computer running is no issue. I have a server running for the ATV with about 500 movies and thousands of songs. If I need to place another host client to stream, that won't be an issue.

Having a computer running is no issue. I have a server running for the ATV with about 500 movies and thousands of songs. If I need to place another host client to stream, that won't be an issue.

Right on, I just don't think that there is anything on PLAYON that you can't get on roku by itself.

Still shaking my head. what does playon do?

(That a $50 roku can't)

For me, it has a few "channels" (scripts) that aren't available on Roku. My wife loves watching British series TV, and so far she's been able to get everything she looks for via PlayOn. But, what seals the deal for me with PlayOn is that it also offers "MyMedia" which uses VLAN as a media player. Thanks to this, long gone for me are the days of having to transcode everything into a format that the Roku can use since VLAN does it seamlessly on teh fly. I can rip movies to my server in their native format and serve them
up to any Roku'd TV in the house.

Furthermore, if you have a Wii, PS, or Xbox. PlayOn can be used without a Roku.

And, finally, you also need to look at the 3rd party scripts available for PlayOn (like Private channels for Roku). One we particularly like is called "WatchSeries". It's sort of like Hulu (tho maybe not as reliable) for free and inlcude a LOT of British Programming.

I'm hoping to buy an Apple TV Saturday and cancel my DirecTV on Sunday. The thing that sold me on the Apple TV over Roku is with my iMac, I should be able to stream anything wirelessly to the TV.

Scheduling depends on whether I'm schlepping furniture around my parents house again because they are having tile put in.

I'm hoping to buy an Apple TV Saturday and cancel my DirecTV on Sunday. The thing that sold me on the Apple TV over Roku is with my iMac, I should be able to stream anything wirelessly to the TV.

Scheduling depends on whether I'm schlepping furniture around my parents house again because they are having tile put in.

$35 chromecast does this too.

My favorite things about the Roku are:

Search function: The search is unbelieveably thorough.

It searches free and pay sites and gives you all options and prices for whatever you want to watch.

Simplicity: The app is utterly fantastic. You can type in text on there rather than the hunt and peck on the Roku, but even the hunt and peck is predictive with a list. 2-3 letters finds what you are looking for somewhere down the list.

I think he means Chromecast.

But I think Chromecast now blocks 3rd party streaming apps. So if its not Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, or any of the other officially approved streamer apps, it's blocked.

An iMac running the current OS is supposed to be able to wirelessly display anything on the TV that is displayed on the iMac. For instance, I could go to the CNN Live webpage and send it using the Airplay function to my TV.

Latest posts

Back