how long are oxygen absorbing caps good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3uerger

Reaction score
Just wondering how long the o2 absorbing caps are supposed to be good for?

Once you put them on a bottle, they only absorb O2 for a short period of time. There isn't much more oxygen that will come out of solution from the beer, so they're just meant to absorb what they can from the headspace. It's not something that is ongoing while the beer is stored.

As long as they are kept dry, I should think for quite a while. They are activated by getting wet.
I always wondered this. My thinking was "they can only absorb so much oxygen, and they'll probably do that long before being crimped onto a beer". Learn something new every day.:mug:

Sorry WBC but this is incorrect:eek: Forrest at AHBS posted earlier here this year not to do this. Just use them right out of the bag.

You don't soak them for hours, just a minute will do. I'm not trying to start a fight but I would not put a cap on any beer without knowing it is free of bacteria. I don't think 1 minute of Starsan is going to ruin the cap. I just set up 6 bottles and 6 caps at a time when filling and then cap. I always tip the bottles upside down just before placing them in the carton to wet the cap with beer.

Why would I go through all the trouble of sanitizing everything just to end up putting an unsanitized cap on it all? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I was just letting you know what has been put forth here as to the proper way to use those caps as presented by Forrest at AHS. Also my own LHBS told me not to get them wet/sanitize as that deactivates their ability to absorb the oxygen especially if you use a sanitizer that uses oxygen as as its sanitizing base. When I have more time I'll search and try and find that thread as that there is more info than what I can remember right now that could be of interest to all.

I also have no interest in fighting or bickering, just putting the info out and it can be used as one sees fit. I respect all opinions and understand where your coming from WBC:mug:

By the way, I've had a 100% success rate with the ten or so batches I've bottled and used caps right out of the package;)

Latest posts

Back