White Labs WLP860 Munich Helles- how low can it go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HootHootHoot

Reaction score
Apparently the groundhog was lying, or forgot about the upper Midwest this year in his forecast, because we have gotten a late start to our spring.

I am hoping to brew a lager here in the next week or so. My fermentation chamber (fridge with a temp control) is my in garage, so naturally I need it warm enough to get and keep this yeast going.

How cold is too cold for this strain? I read 48-52 optimal, but can it work into the mid 40s?

I am thinking of daytime temp can stay 50 or above (60 forecast three days after brew day, but then mid to low 50s), as long as I keep my fermentation chamber closed I feel like I should be okay. I can't imagine losing too much temperature if the outside temp falls into the mid 40s

Before I waste all this wonderful (and expensive) grain, hops, and yeast for an authentic German lager, I figured I would make sure I was going to be okay.

Thank you all

Back