Sanitize keg connections?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I went to a homebrewers beer festival last weekend. We swapped out a lot of kegs at our booth during the day. I noticed one of the guys would sanitize both keg posts and the connections everytime. Just wondering if you guys did this when swapping out kegs? I never do and have never had a problem but....it seem like an "ounce of prevention" kind of thing.

I try to keep a spray bottle of star-san solution handy for just such things. It's even more important for sankey kegs IMO, since the keg valve tends to collect moisture and dust/debris. Some smaller microbreweries around here have even tried getting the bar employees that carry their beer to do this when swapping kegs. If you keep your kegerator/keezer at or below 36F it's much less important, since most of the nasties that can infect your lines aren't active that cold.

I don't sanitize the outsides I guess, but I do run sanitizer through the keg and through the lines, so I figure everything that comes into contact would be sanitized. Wouldn't think that something on the outside (say on the top of the QD) would influence my beer, but again an ounce of prevention might be worth it. I may have to remember to grab my spray bottle next time.

I run sanitizer through the connections and hoses and spray the outside and dunk the connectors. I also take apart, clean, and sanitize every once in a while. I had an infection in one of my kegs once so I'm super careful.

Back