Fermentation temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_tripp

Reaction score
I used my Ranco thermostat in my fridge for the first time. I used Nottingham on my amber ale (only 1.048 OG) and it fermented out to 1.011 in 2 days at 64 F.

I heard on the Jamil Show to raise the temp to ferment out the unwanted tastes. My question is do I just take the fermenter out to room temp (68 F in my basement) or raise the thermostat a few degrees a day? And when should I Keg?

Thanks.

From what I've read, the only time temperature control is needed is at the beginning of feremtation when yeast cells are multiplying. After which the beer can be kept at any temperature unless you are doing a lager. So taking it out of the fridge after getting close to final gravity would be fine.

Jamil's advice is basically a diacetyl rest- keep the fermentation temperature at the lower end of the yeast strain's optimum range, and then at the end of primary, raise the temperature up a couple of degrees to encourage the yeast to fully attenuate and clean up any diacetyl produced.

We're talking about just a few degrees- 5 degrees at most. You still want to stay in the yeast strain's range. So, if you're at 64 now, going up to 68 or so would be great.

From what I've read, the only time temperature control is needed is at the beginning of feremtation when yeast cells are multiplying. After which the beer can be kept at any temperature unless you are doing a lager. So taking it out of the fridge after getting close to final gravity would be fine.

I don't agree at all with that- temperature control is crucial for both ales and lagers, in all stages of fermentation. I guess it could be said it's less important after fermentation is over, but I still wouldn't recommend not controlling the temperature.

Why not leave it where it is and keep it in the range the yeast enjoys so much? I would leave it there as long as possible before doing anything else with it.

Stable temperatures do a yeast good. I wouldn't move the batch until you're ready to keg it up.

With your brew being under 1.050, I think 3-4 weeks would be a good choice before kegging it. Taste it at 2 weeks, then at 3 weeks before deciding. Don't rush it to keg. If you only have one primary, and want to brew another batch, get another primary. I have four confirmed primary fermenters (6.6-7.75 gallon capacity) with another four ~5.25 gallon tier 2 fermenters. If I need more than that, I'll go out and buy more. Or, I'll just slow down a bit, since that will mean I have eight brews in process. :rockin:

Golddiggie said:
With your brew being under 1.050, I think 3-4 weeks would be a good choice before kegging it. Taste it at 2 weeks, then at 3 weeks before deciding. Don't rush it to keg. If you only have one primary, and want to brew another batch, get another primary. I have four confirmed primary fermenters (6.6-7.75 gallon capacity) with another four ~5.25 gallon tier 2 fermenters. If I need more than that, I'll go out and buy more. Or, I'll just slow down a bit, since that will mean I have eight brews in process. :rockin:

Just curious why 3-4 weeks with a lower gravity? Wouldn't it take less time?

It could, but IMO, you're better off being patient with ales (and brews in general)... Since I learned to be patient with my batches (from #3 forward) I've been rewarded with great things. I've gotten to the point where I don't need to see the wort ferment anymore to KNOW the yeast is doing what it needs to. Kind of helped that I switched over to SS fermenters. :rockin: As long as I have some indication that fermentation is going on (increased temperature, or other indicators) I'm happy. I've been using pure O2 to oxygenate my wort with great results. Using starters is another great (and so easy) thing you can do for your batches. I did one for yesterday's (Sunday) batch and in under 24 hours the yeast is burping and farting so much the blow-off tube sounds like a mad scientist's lab. :rockin:

Learning what else you can do for your brew, besides temperature, will reward you many times over. Patience is one of the cheapest things, but pays a huge dividend...

mr_tripp said:
Just curious why 3-4 weeks with a lower gravity? Wouldn't it take less time?

Even though the beer can ferment out within a few days, leaving it on the yeast for three weeks can really clean it up. Flavor wise, and clearity.

Agree with all. No reason to pull the beer out, and possibly no reason to raise the temp, but if you do, just a few degrees as Yooper says. Then let it sit for a few weeks. I usually practice a 3-week minimum, personally.

IF you don't have good temp control, then I encourage making sure you keep the yeast temp down at the start, then letting it go if you can't keep control of the temps. That will minimize the potential problem during the critical stage. If you have temp control, then by all means, use it for the whole fermentation.

For small ales I just turn off my fridge after activity starts to slow and let it rise up to room temp 75~ for a few days 4~7 I'll dry hop in primary as well during this time. I will let it sit on the yeast for 2 weeks then clod crash and package.

Back