Revvy + Others... I'm going to OAK beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staffVAJoe

Reaction score
Hey guys:

This weekend I will be brewing an Oatmeal stout (partial mash with steeping grains) and the directions on the package are a bit ambiguous.

AMERICAN "LIGHT TOAST" CHIPS

You can add oak chips directly to the fermentor, or you can boil them and just add the liquid that is extracted.

Oak chips release flavor and aroma, and some color.

What would you do?

I also would like to try adding a small amount of hot pepper to this experiment but I understand that with less than 20 brews under my belt I should try changing one ingredient at a time.

Thanks guys

- Joe B

I Soak mine in Bourbon, actually...and I use Jack Daniel's Oak SMoking CHips actually...

I would only do the oak, this time, not change up too much right now...oak is a lot, and it will need to mellow a bit.

When? Boil with grains or into the secondary???

I have been leaving in primary for 3 weeks should I try the 1 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and in the bottles for 3?

Thanks

If I oak, I do it in the secondary, with freshly boiled oak chips or spirals. Just keep in mind that while you need a few weeks for the oak profile to show up, it will mellow rather quickly. If you're going to oak for 3-4 weeks, expect a strong initial oak presence but know that in a few months it might be all but gone.

When? Boil with grains or into the secondary???

I have been leaving in primary for 3 weeks should I try the 1 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and in the bottles for 3?

Thanks

Oaking I do in Secondary, one of the few times I use a secondary...I take a mason jar add the chips and pour a half pint or so of Jack on them to sanitize them. I seal the jar and let it sit for a few days or a couple weeks, then I pour the chips and bourbon into the secondary and rack on top...I usually do a secondary at 14 days, then leave in specondary for another 14 days.

Latest posts

Back