March Swap ~ SuperiorBrews Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I sent brews to RICLARK, chillHayze & quickerNu:

Red Headed Step Child (Irish Red)
Honey Lite Lager
Fat Tire Clone
Canadian Ale
Extra Nutty Brown
Pumpkin Spice
Honey Weizen

SuperiorBrew said:
I sent brews to RICLARK, chillHayze & quickerNu:

Red Headed Step Child (Irish Red)
Honey Lite Lager
Fat Tire Clone
Canadian Ale
Extra Nutty Brown
Pumpkin Spice
Honey Weizen

Bare with me Rich im no judge.

First beer tried was the "Canadian Ale" A little low on the carbonation But was not flat by any means. Very Clean and smooth finished well, I Enjoyed until the last drop.

Honey Lite Lager, Perfect Carbonation Loud spit when I popped the cap. This beer had a beautiful bright yellow color and was as clear as water. This beer was very dry but also sort of refreshing as I dank it. There was a nice lace on the glass all the way down to the last drop. Im still not sure If i would make my own batch because of how dry it was though.

Red Headed Step Child

This beer was perfectly carbed and smelled great. I poured it into my glass and it was crystal clear with a beautiful carmel color and red tint it looked great, My first taste and I was blown away, it was great. The beer has a great carmel taste to it and was very clean and finished great. This has to be one of the best beers I have ever had.

Again, sorry Rich I dont really know how to judge I just know what tastes good to me.

I haven't tried the Fat Tire or the Pumpkin yet. I will post when I do.

Thanks, you drank the better ones first, so its all downhill from there :D
I might try to do the Lite Lager with out the honey next time, although the two competitions I entered it in It got a Gold and a Silver, I too thought it was a little dry, plus I need to convert it to AG for the next brew.The Red Headed Step Child got a Gold (they were both small competitions).

I was bottling a mixed case to send home with my parents yesterday and both the Honey Lite and Red Headed spit :(

I did brew a Peanut Butter Porter yesterday that I have high hopes for.

SuperiorBrew said:
Thanks, you drank the better ones first, so its all downhill from there :D
I might try to do the Lite Lager with out the honey next time, although the two competitions I entered it in It got a Gold and a Silver, I too thought it was a little dry, plus I need to convert it to AG for the next brew.The Red Headed Step Child got a Gold (they were both small competitions).

I was bottling a mixed case to send home with my parents yesterday and both the Honey Lite and Red Headed spit :(

I did brew a Peanut Butter Porter yesterday that I have high hopes for.

I can see why the RHSC won the gold, it was outstanding. I think I have the recipe for it saved so im going to make it. I only hope I can replicate the one you sent me. My best friend was tasting the beers with me and he tried to tackle me to get what was left in the bottle he loved it as well and said "It was his new favorite beer".:rockin:

Fat Tire Clone

Perfectly Carbed Nice 1 inch frothy head, Apperance was darker than fat tire and had a haze to it. Taste was very smooth and light and tasted a slight more hoppier than Fat tire if I can remember Correctly. Overall I enjoyed this beer and would have no problems drinking more.

Pumpkin beer

Pour was great perfect carb. forthy white head I did not smell pumpkin in it at all it smelled sweet though. Apperance was great a nice clear golden color looked liked a pilsner. Taste was awesome though I did not taste pumpkin at all it however was well balanced with a nice hop aroma and taste I really enjoyed this beer and would like to make my own, though im curious about the pumpkin.

45oz in the mash, it was my first AG and I grossly undershot the OG so I had to add some honey and all the DME I had and then it ended up a high. I almost gave up on it but it turned out ok. The spice is there but not much of the pumpkin.

SuperiorBrew said:
45oz in the mash, it was my first AG and I grossly undershot the OG so I had to add some honey and all the DME I had and then it ended up a high. I almost gave up on it but it turned out ok. The spice is there but not much of the pumpkin.

Either way the beer was great. what hops are in it?

RICLARK said:
Either way the beer was great. what hops are in it?
Willamette & Mt. Hood
All the bolded stuff was my raiding the panty to get the gravity up.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Creamy Pumpkin Ale
Brewer: SuperiorBrew
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 7.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 15.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 13.45 %
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.75 %
12.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.73 %
4.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.24 %
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 14.1 IBU
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] (2 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.50 oz Super Irish Moss (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.65 oz Pumpkin Pie Spice (Cinn,Nutmeg,Allspice,GiMisc
45.00 oz Pumpkin (Canned) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.4 oz Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar 3.59 %
4.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 2.24 %
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 2.81 gal of water at 166.1 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Mix Pumpkin with a gallon of mash water and add to mash in

Kegged at 12lbs on 10-28 FG 1.008 / 68

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sure looked and smelled like pumpkin originally:

2334409330101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

2910463030101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

2401820290101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

2210478150101759406S600x600Q85.jpg

Im def. gonna make this for the fall. Maybe in late August. Now you say add the pumpkin to 1 gallon mash water. now is that For EXP. im mashing with 3.5 gal and I want the pumpkin. I add the pumpkin to a gallon of seperate water or just add it to the 3.5?

RICLARK said:
Im def. gonna make this for the fall. Maybe in late August. Now you say add the pumpkin to 1 gallon mash water. now is that For EXP. im mashing with 3.5 gal and I want the pumpkin. I add the pumpkin to a gallon of seperate water or just add it to the 3.5?

I used part of my calculated mash water, you can probably just toss it into the mash water and whisk it up before you add your grains. I have read spreading the pumpkin on a cookie sheet and baking for 20-30 minutes intensifies the flavors. I might add more pumpkin next year and stir it in more, It keeps floating to the top.
PS the pumpkin cooled my water and I was quite a bit low for my mash temp and had to add more hot water. I assume that was part of my low OG.

Light Honey Lager

Aroma - Pils all around, a bit of dry alcohol smell

Appear - Transparent, color is copper/red

Flavor - Crisp, very refreshing, can note honey was used, but not a 'honey' flavor exactly. There is a very slight bubble gun flavor as perhaps fermentation was a bit high for the strain. Again this is very slight.

MF - Rich body for a light lager, likely due to the honey.

Overall this is a very difficult style done well. The largest flaw is the bubble gum flavor and aroma, but that is very subtle. Even subtle stuff like that comes out in such a light clean beer. I think it might be better categorized as simply a "Honey Lager", dropping the "Light" portion.

Pumpkin Ale -
Others seemed to like this one, but I honestly could not drink it. Not much aroma, body was that of water, and taste screamed "infected"! Maybe I just got a bottle with some crud in it, but this seems unlikely since your other beers were so good and clean. I really liked the color of this one, that orange/yellow hue.

Fat Tire -
What can I say here, this taste like the Fat Tire I remember, only with more body, which is something New Belgium should improve. 100% excellent job on the clone. Is this a kit or your own formulation?

Did I mention this is also just a really good beer? NB should clone your beer, that would be better, ha.

Honey Weizen -
Another Champ!

Aroma - Clove, spicey hops, slight Pils. High carbonation carries aroma well.

Appear - Almost transparent, mysterious deep copper color. Head does not lace.

Flavor - Initially malty with slight citrus note, fading to the big-time clove and grassy (in a good way). There is that honey flavor again!

MF - Thick for style, but appropriate (honey). High carbonation quickly fills the mouth with bubbles if swished around. The head is held well.

I would call this beer just about flawless, the only thing I would change would be to lower the carbonation maybe 15-20%, but that is my taste.
I drank half the 22or bottle, then saved the rest over night with a vacu-vin for the next day. Smoked a little clove cigar with it and it was like clove heaven. Amesome!

Pumpkin Ale -
Others seemed to like this one, but I honestly could not drink it. Not much aroma, body was that of water, and taste screamed "infected"! Maybe I just got a bottle with some crud in it, but this seems unlikely since your other beers were so good and clean. I really liked the color of this one, that orange/yellow hue.

Bummer, must have happened in the bottle, although I really wasnt happy with that one from the start.
Fat Tire -
What can I say here, this taste like the Fat Tire I remember, only with more body, which is something New Belgium should improve. 100% excellent job on the clone. Is this a kit or your own formulation?

Did I mention this is also just a really good beer? NB should clone your beer, that would be better, ha.

I spent a week reading recipes, and took bits and pieces from several. I have never had the original but thought that one turned out pretty good.

Honey Weizen -
Another Champ!

Aroma - Clove, spicey hops, slight Pils. High carbonation carries aroma well.

Appear - Almost transparent, mysterious deep copper color. Head does not lace.

Flavor - Initially malty with slight citrus note, fading to the big-time clove and grassy (in a good way). There is that honey flavor again!

MF - Thick for style, but appropriate (honey). High carbonation quickly fills the mouth with bubbles if swished around. The head is held well.

I would call this beer just about flawless, the only thing I would change would be to lower the carbonation maybe 15-20%, but that is my taste.
I drank half the 22or bottle, then saved the rest over night with a vacu-vin for the next day. Smoked a little clove cigar with it and it was like clove heaven. Amesome!

I havent tried one these in a couple months now, Didnt like it at all at first, was way too yeastie and clovey for my tastes, maybe I will tap one tonight.

You are making some great beer man. These recipies as AG will be superb.

Prost!

Thanks! I am going to try converting the Honey Lite Lager to AG and brewing it soon, the rest were all AG

I found the Red in back of the refrigerator, and have been sampling that one.

Appear - Deep Red, small bubbles, good head retention and lacing.

Aroma - Not much here, maybe a little malt backbone.

MF - Appropriate light body and modernate carb help emphasize bitterness and clean Irish yeast.

Taste - Initially bitter and dry, giving way to a strong crystal sweetness after a few seconds.

Overall, another good entry. My kind of session beer - good sweet malt flavor in the finish and not too watered down.

Just broke out the Fat Tire clone. I like yours better! Definately more malt/ body to yours. Mine was slightly undercarbed, decent head that coulda lasted a bit longer. It is a little hazy, and a couple shades darker than how I remember the original. No off flavors, just a darn good beer. Clean, sweet finish.

Okay, just had the pumpkin. Wow. Not sure I would have ever guessed that was pumpkin. It was a very different base taste, I really liked it. Golden color, good head and lacing. It was a touch "watery" or lacking body, but very tasty. Again, couldn't place the aroma. Good beer-looks very labor intensive. Not sure I could drink more than one per sitting, but a beer I really enjoyed!!

Back