Refermentation Question.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon

Reaction score
My latest brew spent two weeks in primary, and I decided to rack to secondary this weekend because it will probably be another two weeks before I am able to bottle and I wanted to get it off the trub. I took hydrometer readings over the space of three days and the readings came in the same - it dropped from an OG of 1.066 to 1.020 - so I assumed that fermentation was complete and racked away yesterday morning.

I came home this evening to find it fermenting away with a head of foam and the airlock bubbling away! :confused: So what's the deal? Will this adversely affect the beer, and will I have to rack again to allow it to clear before bottling?

An item of note: when the level of beer in the primary was getting low, I inadvertantly raised the racking cane and air got into the line and we got some bubbling action in the secondary. Will this cause spoilage?

All is well you just brought the yeast back up into suspension and they are doing what they know how to do.

You will be ok to go to bottling once it has called down and get stable hydrometer readings.

At 1.020, it probably wasn't done; so, when you racked and roused the yeast.

A small amount of air will not be a problem.

Back