Hop boil times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepitcold

Reaction score
Hey guys I was just looking over a recipe a made and I'm trying to figure out hop boiling time for different affects. I know 60 mins will give me the bitter but when is the optimal time to put in hops for flavor and aroma?

I'm not sure where they got the data for this chart, but I've found it useful for a jumping off point
Hop Chart

It's a good guide, but the "aroma" bit is way off. The later you add hops, the more aroma you'll get.

If you boil hops for 5 minutes, you're driving off some of the very volatile aromatics that contribute all your aroma. Flameout hops will give more aroma than 5 min hops, and dry hopping is all aroma (not boiled or even heated).

Not only that, but you'll get flavor and aroma (as well as some bitterness) from hops added after the boil. You could only do a 60 minute addition and a large 0 minute addition, and if you let it whirlpool/sit hot for 30-120 minutes, you will get a metric buttload of flavor and aroma. Isomerization continues until the beer is below ~70* C (at a much, much lower rate) as well.

I think the best way to make a beer bursting with hoppiness is to only do 15, 10, 5, and 0 additions, don't start cooling for at least 20 minutes. I did a single-hop Cascade pale with 1, 1.5, 1.5, and 2oz additions as well as 2oz for dry-hopping and it's one of the best, brightest beers I've ever tasted, let alone made. Two cases disappeared among my friends in a week.

edit: That advice is for leaf hops as they tend to be stingier with their oils and flavor/aroma compounds; with pellets I would cool as usual so the more delicate compounds don't dissipate.

It's a good guide, but the "aroma" bit is way off. The later you add hops, the more aroma you'll get.

If you boil hops for 5 minutes, you're driving off some of the very volatile aromatics that contribute all your aroma. Flameout hops will give more aroma than 5 min hops, and dry hopping is all aroma (not boiled or even heated).

I'm pretty sure it's just a qualitative graph. But even so, I'm not sure why they centered the peak for the aroma where they did. It should be at 0. It should be more like this (disclaimer this is for illustration purposes and is not based on actual data.):

hops47.jpg

Back