aquire a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
when you want an aluminum 30 gal keg we are all aware of. Do you just buy some beer and then drink it and keep the keg and the liquor store just keeps your deposit? Do you ask if you can buy used ones? how do you guys get your hands on these?

The legal way of getting them is to keep your eyes on scrapyards, ebay, craigslist....

Or call a local brewery and see if they have any that they were planning to decomission.

Get the yellow pages out and start calling all the scrap yards you can find. Ebay is ok....shipping can be nasty on an item like a keg tho as i found out. :p

It's really just a question of your sense of right and wrong.

I mean, do you think it's right to push swill on people and try to make them think it's great beer? Do you think it's wrong to do something that there is hardly any possible way that you would ever get in trouble for and the only bad side effects would be an increase in price of said swill?

It's up to you and you alone.

The information I post is not designed to be a moral judgement or an indication of personal thoughts bust is just for information.

You can try to source one that is legally for sale or you can deprive the owner of their property and criminally damage it.
It's not just a case of kegging it and forgoing the deposit, you are actually stealing it.
When you leave the deposit do you leave your name and address?
If you do buy one from ebay or a scrapyard and you want to ease your concious then you could ask the owner if they have the right to sell the keg.

What do you mean by "right to sell" a keg?

As I understand it, the deposit is a damage deposit. It is to compensate the owner for the value (not the replacement cost) of a keg.

I don't see why you can't just keep the darn thing if you don't want your money back.

The damage deposit in many states is set by law, it does not reflect the cost of the keg. The cost of a keg for a brewery is over $100, but I have yet to see a damage deposit equal that amount.

I agree with all you moral people, but I am more curious about these 30 gallon kegs? I assume you mean 15.5 gallon or is there something out there I am not aware of? Also as an FYI, most kegs are stainless steel and I THINK it is safe to say most homebrewers prefer stainless over aluminum. I have heard of some aluminum kegs out there so be aware when you are looking around.

Vermicous said:
The damage deposit in many states is set by law, it does not reflect the cost of the keg. The cost of a keg for a brewery is over $100, but I have yet to see a damage deposit equal that amount.

I stand corrected. Before I did a little reading on the subject, I had no idea!

Interesting link to another forum....

http://probrewer.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-3480.html

I would start by calling around to any local breweries in your area. I did and was able to pick up a perfectly good keg for $25, which I'm fairly certain is a lot less than any deposit I would have put on a keg when buying it at the store. No moral issues to worry about whatsoever.

I just got 4 from the local big boy brewery that I don't drink anyway. Got them before they took them out of service. No idea why they took them out of service as the valves all work and they are barely even dented. They just look like typical "banging" around dents is all.

Don't know, don't really care to be honest. Post an add on Craigslist for kegs wanted - I got a bunch of responses before I went to the local brewery and just got them from there. With the current metal prices, from the scrap yard you'll be paying the retail price when you buy one from them, you'll pay close to $40 for "scrap" metal...

delboy said:
Are people going to be using these for kegging or is it for making boilers etc?

Boil kettle and HLT for me. The other 2 I plan on using as fermenters because I'm going to do 12.5 gallon batches - 2 5gal cornies and 2.5gals to bottle condition.

I have heard that it is difficult to adapt them for home use with the connections already in place. Removal is okay, just the filling

I myself will be looking for 4 or so in the nearby future. I plan to talk to scrap yards and use my connections at some of the local breweries to score some retired kegs. Picked up some corny kegs this way as well, old homebrewers that didn't need them anymore.

While I can't justify taking kegs for the purchase price, especially after meeting and drinking with various commercial brewers in the area, I can understand the temptation. Neither would I question where a craigslist patron or scrapmetal dealer got their's, ignorance is bliss.

As Vermicous pointed out, the equipment you would need to fill it is more than what the average home brewer is going to pay to fill a keg. Not to mention, most home brewers don't brew enough to even fill one keg at once let alone mutiple kegs to justify owning the filling equipment to do it.

Then lets talk about cleaning the keg and sanitizing it before you fill it...

http://www.nabrewing.com/mispack/010329sankeykegracker.shtml

The industry in the UK has a watch dog that bites. Most if not all scrap yards will not go near a keg even if it may be legit for fear of prosecution.

http://www.kegwatch.co.uk/

KEGWATCH NEWSFLASH

January 2007

38 kegs found in a scrap yard in the West Midlands by police in liaison with Keg Watch. All kegs uplifted by Keg Watch. Proprietor of scrap yard arrested. Ongoing

November 2006

Vehicle reported taking cut up containers into scrap yard in West Yorkshire. Yard visited by Keg Watch representative and various tops/bottoms and pieces of containers uplifted by Keg Watch. Ongoing.

October 2006

Several reports from pubs in Leicestershire regarding theft of kegs/casks from their yards. Two people arrested.

Statement provided to Kings Norton police regarding theft of 2 kegs. Offender put on 12 months community service order and 12 months drug rehab.

Alcester police stopped vehicle suspected of theft in area. When vehicle checked 14 kegs found inside. Occupants arrested and kegs recovered by Keg Watch.

Vehicle stopped in Telford – found to be carrying 55 kegs which driver stated had brought from a publican. Statement given to police and kegs recovered by Keg Watch.

South Yorkshire police stopped vehicle carrying 14 kegs. Occupants stated kegs had come from pub which had been closed for a year – gyle labels proved otherwise. Suspects awaiting trial – containers recovered by Keg Watch.

In addition to the above, representatives from Keg Watch are currently investigating a number of other illicit keg scrapping operations, four of which appear to be of significant size.

Should anyone have any information for Keg Watch please contact us on 0808 100 1945.

Published 19/1/2007

Gregg, if you are still interested send me a PM i know a place (scrap yard) that has a bunch of them and is about 25 min from you. I think they charge 16 bucks a piece.

I was just setting forth a curious question. I want to get/buy a used keg and cut the top off like i have seen here on the forum. just for fun i thought i would ask how you go about getting one. No I'm not going to buy a keg of beer and keep the keg. We have a few breweries in my city so i will start asking there. Wow didn't mean to start WWIII. i am totally willing and able to buy one i just didn't honestly know where. I had no idea that microbrewries would use a small container like that. i figured their capacity would be way over 30 gallon kegs.

Hey shows you what i know. NOT MUCH!

Oscar!

Well going the Legal route paid off for me. It took me some effort and time but I eventually got a contact at keg watch and managed to buy some legal kegs that they had written off. So I have a receipt from the industry watch dog.

To boot the only charged my £5 each with £2.5 for delivery. That's cheaper than buying stolen kegs.

I bought 8.:mug:

In Montana it's not even a moral/ethical question; it's a legal one. It is against the law not to return a keg. They take your name, driver's license number, and phone number. They tag your keg with a numbered tag, which is illegal to remove ($500 fine). When you get a keg of beer, you have two weeks to return it...or else you face a serious fine and potentially a suspended license.

Bars and distributors have to account for all kegs all the time, even more of a paper trail.

But, breweries do get rid of them every now and then, and they sell them cheaply (they've already written them off). Like Orfy says, better save your receipts.

faber said:
They take your name, driver's license number, and phone number. They tag your keg with a numbered tag, which is illegal to remove ($500 fine).
Damn things have changed since my days at MSU. Half our kegs ended up being bar stools or end tables. :rockin:

faber said:
In Montana it's not even a moral/ethical question; it's a legal one. It is against the law not to return a keg. They take your name, driver's license number, and phone number. They tag your keg with a numbered tag, which is illegal to remove ($500 fine). When you get a keg of beer, you have two weeks to return it...or else you face a serious fine and potentially a suspended license.

Bars and distributors have to account for all kegs all the time, even more of a paper trail.

But, breweries do get rid of them every now and then, and they sell them cheaply (they've already written them off). Like Orfy says, better save your receipts.
2 weeks? But what if you want to use it for more than two weeks? Here in MA we have the same process, name, address, phone, lic #, tag on keg, but I have kegs for weeks and months at a time before they are returned...

MA_Brewer said:
2 weeks? But what if you want to use it for more than two weeks? Here in MA we have the same process, name, address, phone, lic #, tag on keg, but I have kegs for weeks and months at a time before they are returned...
Ditto. I have had a Sam Adams quarter barrel sitting in my shed for two+ years now. I got it a few July 4's ago down the Cape and have never remembered to bring & return it......I would laugh my cojones off if the Keg Police came looking for it!! :D

Back