My beer has turned dark on me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SewerRanger

Reaction score
So I started brewing a Hefe the other day. Everything was normal with the brewing, it had a nice brownish color when it went into the secondary (see my banana recipe) but I've noticed that it's gotten very dark since the first day I've put it in there. It seems to me to be almost black at this point. Any one have any idea what might be going on here? I've made this recipe about a dozen times and it's never done this before.

Nope, sits in a dark corner in my kitchen. Same place all the other brews sit. When I transfered it from primary to secondary it had a nice golden hue in the rubber tubing and was a bit dark in the actual carboy but that's what it usually does. Now it's really dark though. Kind of a bit of re-vitiligo

I would say it has something to do with the lighting or the background you are looking at. Beer always looks darker when you have 5gallons to look through, especially if the ambient light is low or whatever is on the opposite side of the beer is dark.

Beers look much darker in the primary/secondary compared to the glass. How light did it look in the siphon hose?

Are you judging the original color based on what the beer looked like through tubing when racking to the carboy? If that's the case, it will always look much darker in the carboy b/c there's a lot more liquid in there - not as much light will pass through the carboy due to the larger volume (that's the unscientific answer)

Back