Fermentation Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berserker

Reaction score
Ok here is my situation. My last two batches have both gotten stuck at a FG of 1.022 or so. My first batch was a Blonde Cream Ale with an SG of 1.048 it sat in the primary for 3 weeks and in the secondary for 4 weeks. I have it bottled and tried it last night and it was actually quite good but not as much alcohol obviously. The second is an Irish Stout that I added DME to up the Alcohol content to about 7% I was hoping. It had a SG of 1.060 but an FG of 1.022 it was in the primary for 6 weeks and has been in the secondary now for about 2 weeks. I don't get why the yeast won't do more. I used WYeast Activator with a starter on the first and White labs with a starter on the second. Help me get out of this funk!!!

Also if you could help the blonde cream ale is a lot darker than I expected. More amber colored and my previous batch was quite dark as well. I use Super Irish Moss for clarity but the beer still seems darker and a little cloudy. Both taste great just dark color. The previous batch used gold LME from Midwest supply and the cream ale used the same. Thanks.

From my understanding, you will get less attenuation from extract. My last beer, an extract nut brown, sat in the primary for 4 weeks. OG 1.055, FG sat at 1.02. If you're sitting in the primary at 4 weeks and a secondary for an additional few weeks, I'd say it may be due to using an extract recipe.

Back