The return of RH "Double Black Stout"!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
I loved this beer, but haven't seen it a years :ban:

It'll be the first beer I drink after the turkey hits the oven!

Saw it for the first time the other day...never had it in IL before this to my knowledge. I was already loading up on a bunch of stuff so I wasn't in the spending out of curiosity mode. What's the story on this brew?

Only Stout I have at home right now is Founder's Breakfast Stout..and holy shiz is it good. Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal.... mmmmmmmmmm.

I haven't cracked it yet.. the old DBS was fantastic. I'll drink 'er this weekend and report back!

Still, my favorite commercial stouts are: Pelican Tsunami Stout, Rogue's Shakespeare, and #1 is Stone's 12th Anniversary Oatmeal stout.

Aroma: Strong coffee and roasted barley. Not much on aroma when the beer is cold (40F), but it really comes out when it warms.

Appearance: Dark brown to mahogany around the edges of the glass. Head is a dense tan, not overly carbonated. Head shrinks, but remains until the pint is empty. Good lacing.

Flavor: Coffee is strong, followed by roasted flavors as the beer goes down. Dry finish, a little hops noticed, although the coffee provides some bitterness, too. Not sweet at all, although the label describes this as an imperial stout (7% ABV seems low for imperial).

Mouthfeel: Smooth. Not thick, but leaves a nice coffee coating on the tongue.

Overall: A nice coffee flavored stout, which is not very heavy. The 22oz went down easily. If you like your coffee black, you will like this stout. Very drinkable. Let it warm, as the best flavor came out when the beer hit 48-50F. Have this beer instead of after dinner coffee.

Back