1028 Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenfmn

Reaction score
I used wyeast 1028 for the first time this past weekend. Everything went great, I hit all my numbers and my Christmas ale was primed for success. Except now I have had large temp swings...

I pitched yeast at about 64 degrees and it held steady between 67-69 for the first 24 hours. I got home from work and it going nuts and spiking around 76-77 degrees. I freaked out and moved it to basement where it is now sitting back at 68 today.

Will the high temps for a few hours throw nasty flavors ? Is 1028 always this wild?? Can someone convince my wife I need to build a ferm chamber?? :)

I have High hopes for this Xmas ale (great lakes clone) and Hope I'm just overthinking things! Thanks

I pitched a large starter of Wyeast 1028 into an English Barleywine this weekend at 62F, natural rise to 67F where it's been temperature controlled. It was on the verge of blowoff.

I can't answer the high temperature flavor question, but it can really take off. It's an English strain that can attenuate, got 78% & 82% attenuation on some recent beers with that strain.

I think you'll be fine. I did an old ale with 1028 that had a similar temp swing situation. It turned out just fine. I got 76% attenuation with it.

The blowoff tube bubbling was significantly slowing and I swapped it out for an airlock for longer storage. A refractometer reading showed the barleywine at 1.020 from 1.097 in about 4.5 days from pitching (62F pitch, 67F fermenter temperature, Wyeast 1028, chilled and decanted starter per Mr Malty).

Back