Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you might have to go full-size to see it

no, I did not put it there, and it was gone a week later

IMG_0290 resize.jpg

Not really about beer but brewing related:

I asked a buddy of mine to stop in and feed my dogs and let them out on his way home from work yesterday.
He did and sent me a text that said " Love the homemade granola bars!"

Now, it is well known that my wife and I make about everything we possibly can, but neither of us care for granola, and we have never made any granola bars. Puzzled, I sent back "???granola???"

This is what he found:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/spent-grain-make-your-best-friend-cookies-87097/

He claims they are delicious!

Does anyone else eat spent grains while cleaning out their mash tun/mash bag? That's the only part of cleanup that I enjoy.

I'd eat the **** out of this dog trea- sorry, "granola bars".

Anytime after the mash rest you will find me snacking on them. Brewing is hungry work

I was at the Berghoff in Chicago the other day when it was real nice outside. For those of you who don't know, it is the first licensed establishment to have a liquor license after prohibition. They serve a lot of German beers brewed for them by a brewery in Wisconsin. Anyway, as I was eating my dinner some kids came by and sat down next to me. They seemed kind of young, but I figured if you were underage, why would you go to a really nice beer hall downtown? When the bartender asked for their ID's, one of them scanned the beer list and the other rifled through his wallet for his ID.

After a minute of looking the one at the menu said ", They don't even serve Corona here, who doesn't serve Corona. Sorry man, we aren't gonna stay here." I was so impressed with their incredibly refined palates/horrible game plan.

I think Econ was the first great derail. Tacos is just the most recent delicious one. But I digress.

Yesterday I interviewed a possible new roommate/tenant. The guys girlfriend saw me reorganizing my garage and all my brewing equipment and asked me "Ah, so you make your own beer?" If she were single...

Sound alike a good roommate to get and not keep long.

Not really about beer but brewing related:

I asked a buddy of mine to stop in and feed my dogs and let them out on his way home from work yesterday.
He did and sent me a text that said " Love the homemade granola bars!"

Now, it is well known that my wife and I make about everything we possibly can, but neither of us care for granola, and we have never made any granola bars. Puzzled, I sent back "???granola???"

This is what he found:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/spent-grain-make-your-best-friend-cookies-87097/

He claims they are delicious!

I've tried some before when I made a batch. They aren't terrible.

With some not-dog-friendly additions (chocolate chips, raisins, a little extra sugar) I could see them being a legitimate snack.

I was actually kicking this idea around myself. My wife likes those bars during the day & I have two bags of German spent grains in the freezer...

I'll get silly on Corona w/lime on a hot day.

Frank the Tank style.

Limes are for vodka tonics. Do you salt your Busch Light?

no lime for me. I top up my corona with citrus rum.
It is the only beer SWMBO will drink.
And I have to say it is darn good sitting by the pool.

I use busch light to water my tomatoe garden!

Found this a little while back in Whistler (Canada), not sure how the Bud/Bud Light fall into that category....

For some reason "Domestic" usually refers to "Macro Adjunct Brand." Possibly going with the same style as domestic cars? I really don't know why they'd have them in the same group as craft.

A group of us were at a bar not too long ago and as expected the local craft brews were at a premium price compared to the "domestic" One of us pointed out to the server that "This brewery is 20 minutes that way. <points> You can't get much more domestic than that!" It didn't work.

I have had those before. My town's valley flooded in 2011 with ~12 feet of water from Canada.

They sent that stuff in by the truck load, which was very cool of them that they actually did that. I know why they did it, but still nice when bottled water was the only safe thing to consume.

But it tasted like they filtered it through used pool filters. Better than pooping yourself from drinking tap water...I guess.

I have had those before. My town's valley flooded in 2011 with ~12 feet of water from Canada.

They sent that stuff in by the truck load, which was very cool of them that they actually did that. I know why they did it, but still nice when bottled water was the only safe thing to consume.

But it tasted like they filtered it through used pool filters. Better than pooping yourself from drinking tap water...I guess.

Yeah an old classmate of mine volunteered after Katrina and brought back some canned water. I don't think it even had a liner so it tasted like metal. Worse than any iron infested well water I mean, it was bad.

I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer.

If you don't care for them, that's your opinion and prerogative, but that doesn't make them foul just because you say so, no matter how loudly or often.
Hell, I drank Blue Moon for a while as I was dipping my toes into craft beer, and it's what gave me the confidence to try imported belgians and other superficially similar beers like hefe's- cloudy beer is almost scary when all you've been exposed to is fizzy yellow water.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know a lot more now because I was introduced to the rest of the beer world.

I don't like most of the "craft" wheats that I've tasted, but I do like Blue Moon. Go figure.

Well, it wasnt really overheard but I read it on an internet message board. Some guy who was making fun of uneducated beer drinkers said Sierra Nevada was made in Colorado. :D

Shoots, I always thought it was made in Navada. Says so right on the label in big letters. LOL :mug:

I don't like most of the "craft" wheats that I've tasted, but I do like Blue Moon. Go figure.

That's because American wheats often taste like... American beers. Hop forward, sour, bitter, nasty. I like shocktop better than blue moon.

Back