WLP670 - American Farmhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silikyan

Reaction score
Hi folks,

So I'm going to be spending about two months out of the country this summer, and I'm hoping to brew a Saison in late May (take advantage of warmer temps) and let it ferment all summer until I get home.

I've got a few questions about White Labs 670 - American Farmhouse Blend. I'm very interested in this yeast, not only for the Saison funk that it allegedly brings, and for the sourness from the Brett that's blended in.

First, has anyone used this yeast/how have your beers turned out?

Second, any reservations about leaving this kind of brew in the secondary for a few months? I know Saisons are traditionally aged all summer, so I figure it'd be all right, but I'd love to get some feedback or thoughts from everyone.

I brewed a Saison with this yeast, and it came out great. After 3 weeks in the primary the Brett was very noticeable, and attenuation was 85% (1.074 to 1.011). The longer you age it, the more the Brett character will come through, and it will continue to slowly drop the gravity.

Back