Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: I finally added the paint strip after some priming
ODkUyJt.jpg

TTFgx1Z.jpg

And 3 days later I mounted the drip tray and cap catcher with command strips
KmZVQTO.jpg

I bought a 20.3 cubic foot chest freezer off of craigslist. It sat in my garage for a few months until I sold my old kegerator. My new project was to make the chest freezer into a keezer that the girlfriend would allow in the house (aka not look like an ugly ass big freezer), it would have 4 regular taps and one nitro, and I wanted it to be one that was unique and and not done before to my knowledge.

I am no carpenter by any means, so I enlisted the help of my dad and here is what we came up with and completed in three days. Shout out to my dad again for all the help! We used all red oak, stained ebony with three coats of poly. I just have to hook up the hoses to the shanks now.

Here were a couple of the obstacles that were overcome to make this unique:
1)The panels would have to be removable since we will be moving soon and the freezer barely fit through the door by itself. (fix- the side panels and front will separate with four bolts being removed...top is removable by 6 screws)
2) The heat from the freezer is released around the top 4 inches of the freezer side walls. (fix- wood spacers behind the panels that allow heat to escape up and out from under the lid piece)
3) I didn't want to put it on casters (door restrictions) and it will be placed into a permanent spot eventually. I also didn't want to have to pull it away from the wall each time when I wanted to open the lid since I use this for cold crashing and lagering as well. (fix- hinge the tower to fold down)
4) Put some electronics on it (fix- blue lights that turn on off by a switch, a fan that turns on and blows cold air up into the insulated tower when the johnson controlled compressor kicks on and then returns air back into the freezer)

Check out the pics and Cheers.
On tap: IPA, Honey Wheat, Cherry Stout
Soon to be on tap: Nitro Amber Ale and American Pale Ale

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

Finished mine a few weeks ago. Now if I could just figure out my condensation problem I'd be all set.

It's not a problem, it's just the way it is with keezer's and chest freezer's in general. They collect water/ice and have no way of eliminating it without a defrost cycle. You need either a dessicant or a dehumidifier. Alot of people seem to like Eva-Dry.

Eva-dry with a small fan to move the air through it, and leave the lid closed unless you absolutely have to get in there.

Ya, I already have 2 eva-dry units inside and plan on putting a fan in the bottom to help circulate the air. The fan in the top portion does a good job pulling the air through the liquid lines but doesn't move any air in the cooler.

Been meaning to post this one for several years. Just got around to it today because I did a quick mod to it and decided to finally take pictures. I relocated the regulators outside the cold zone for easier access, less moisture, etc. I'm still chasing a slow CO2 leak that I can't track down. Last year I took the whole regulator bank out and submerged it in water. Found the leak in one of the joints between regulators, but then had to rebuild the regs since they all got drenched. Hoped I'd be in good shape, but it's still there.

Anyway, started down the rabbit hole about 4-5 years ago with a cheap craigslist freezer. Had every intention of eventually making it pretty and running four taps. Got stalled out for a while as a garage queen with 2 taps. Then I finally got ambitious and ended up with what you see here.

Small storage space to the right of the freezer, plenty of airspace around the freezer walls, easy access to the CO2 bottle, reg panel, and drip tray collection bucket. Front panel is held in place with magnets.

DSC00008_zpsff44777e.jpg

IMG_0498_zps2b1d9d34.jpg

IMG_0496_zps85164001.jpg

IMG_0500_zps4b030ea2.jpg

IMG_0501_zps38a536b1.jpg

FUNCTION OVER FORM :)

I wanted my guests and myself to have a nice standing view of the beautiful beer that pours from this Kegerator.

The freezer portion has chilled glasses ready for service. Drain hose installed through door. Saving one spot for a nitro tap.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389127183.934358.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1389127279.197662.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1389127300.227615.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1389127317.526824.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1389127342.134005.jpg

Please ignore the horse piss...

Gonna have some mean HOA block parties once this bad boy is full of beer :)

My former employer, city of Vallejo, Ca. Bankrupt City with a multitude of problems. ... Messed up the post. Christmas present from the wonderful wife. (Customized a little)Half keg left of a Rochefort 10 clone that turned out perfect and a hefeweizen kegged this morning

I love the vintage look, and with those racing stripes you need some cobra or shelby emblems!

I am trying to decide if I should do a P51 themed keezer or stay traditional.

I can't see you're pic, but a P51 theme sounds awesome!

That looks awesome. Are you going to paint it silver or use sheet metal? I think it would be cool to somehow incorporate rivets into the design to give it that P51 look, which would be pretty easy to do if you were going to cover the keezer in sheet metal. Not so much if you were planning on just painting it.

That looks awesome. Are you going to paint it silver or use sheet metal? I think it would be cool to somehow incorporate rivets into the design to give it that P51 look, which would be pretty easy to do if you were going to cover the keezer in sheet metal. Not so much if you were planning on just painting it.
I'll do paint...different kinds of silver to simulate panels and fake rivets are not hard but the P51 had flush type anyway.

I have skills with paint but not so much with sheetmetal. I did consider using diamond plate to cover the collar but that breaks the theme.

Back