I need help converting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaneoco1981

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to make an Amber Ale that a friend of mine has brewed, but he does all grain and I am still doing extract brewing. Is the anyway to convert the grain amount to an ingredient list for extract? There are a few specialty grains that I can steep, but the 2 big ones I am not sure. The ones I need to convert are:
11lbs 13 oz - 2 row pale malt
1 lb 1 oz - Munich Malt - 10L

If anyone would know how to convert that to an extract recipe, I would appreciate it, or point me to where I can find that info. Thanks

There are a couple of different ideas on this... But Papazian (Joy of Homebrewing author) suggests using about 30% less DME than Pale grains. So, if you have 11lb 13 oz (189oz) of pale malt you would make the following calculations:

189*.7 = 132.3oz DME. That's 8.27lbs.

As far as the munich.. This is where we extract brewers are at the mercy of our extract makers... We get what they give us...

What I would do in this situation is probably just increase my DME to a flat 9lbs (my DME comes in 3lb bags) and go from there.

Good look and holla if you need anything else.

-Trax

approximately 1lb grain = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME

munich extract is only available in LME and is 50/50 munich/2-row. However, you could just steep the munich with the rest since its only 1lb. It needs to be mashed to get the sugar from it, but you'd still get the color/flavor steeping. Munich can convert itself tho, so if you steep it in like 1 gallon, you'd be doing a mini-mash.

Yeah I'd just steep the Munich with your specialty grains. If you can, put them in a bag fairly loose and try to steep at 150-160 for about an hour, that will still extract some of the sugars from them. Otherwise just steep like you normally do and you'll still get some of the goodness. The grain conversion also depends on what kind of efficiency he expects in his recipe. If you can figure out the OG that he expects, its pretty easy to take out the pale malt and replace it with extract until you hit the same OG.

I agree about just adjusting extracts until you hit desired OG. I was going to say that but I know a lot of new brewers don't even have hydrometers and frankly the sound of "Original Gravity" measured with a Hydrometer just sounds intimidating. lol...

Now, I don't know about Munich malt being steeped if he is not mashing. He won't convert much of the sugar and what he will leave in his wort will be starches. Those starches will then cause the beer to haze. If I were the OP, I would not steep the Munich.

Ok, the whole recipe is:

Grain Bill
11 lbs 13 oz. - 2-row pale malt
1 lb 1 oz - Munich Malt 10L
12 oz - Caramel/crystal Malt 80L
8.0 oz - Cara-Pils/Dextrine
6.1 oz - Caramel/crystal Malt 60L
2.1 oz - Roasted Barley

Hops
.65 oz Cascade Hops (60 min)
.5 oz Cascade Hops (30 min)
.25 oz Cascade Hops (5 min)

Wyeast #1028

I'd do a recipe like:

~ 8# Pale LME (cheaper than DME, but only good if your LHBS has fresh product)

I'd do a partial mash of 1.25# 2-row and 1# Munich in one gallon of water @ 154 degrees for 60 minutes. Do it in a muslin bag and then t-bag in another, fresh gallon of water at 170 to rinse the sugars. Combine the two gallons and add water to the boil volume, get it boiling, add the LME, proceed as normal.

**EDIT**

Refreshed to see additional information after typing my response above...

need more info now... what's your system like? Can you do a partial mash?

7.5lbs light LME (or about 6.2lbs DME)
1.5lbs munich LME
steep the rest
or
8.5lbs light LME (or 7lbs DME)
steep the rest loosely in a bag @150-160 in 1-1.5 gallons for 1 hour (this is actually a mini-mash since the munich will convert itself, you can add in 0.75lb of pale malt and swap out 0.5lb LME if you want, but its not necessary)

either should get you about 1.061 in 6gallons

I think so. I have a 15 gallon brew pot with weldless valve and screen. I am not entirely sure. I have never tried. (this will hopefully be my 3rd batch).

oh ok, i updated the conversion i sent you a few posts ago for the correct OG.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the time to help me through this. I will hopefully be brewing this tasty treat on April 17th. That gives the current batch in primary to ferment and get moved to a secondary. I gotta get the pipeline moving right?

Back