I want to brew a Budweiser.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don' like full bodied ales and prefer a fizzier, light coloured easy to drink beer like what I am used to. And my wife likes it and my friends all drink it by the bucketful.

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
Okay, not really but to show I am not always an EAC here’s some pointers for those that do.

Millions of people like to drink Bud/Miller/Coors (BMC) style beers. These beers are loosely grouped under the style of American Pilsners although they have little in common to a true Pilsner. They are light in colour and body and lightly hopped.

So how is it made?

Well Beer is made from Water, Malt, Hops and Yeast. The main addition to this is the use of corn or rice because it is cheap, adds very little body, colour or flavour to the beer, which is what gives it its properties. The corn and rice is unmalted so relies on the enzymes from the malted barley to convert the starch from the rice/corn to fermentable sugars. Because of this 6 row barley is used because of its higher diastic properties. To help beer production take less space instead of brewing lots of weak beer some of the breweries brew a stronger beer and then water it down at production.

If you are going to try this then you should be aware that because there are no heavy or strong flavours and off flavours caused by method or ingredients will show through and not be masked so fresh ingredients should be used.

Malt:
UK 2 row pale malts are generally to dark for pilsners and don’t have enough diastic power, so a US 2 row or German Pilsner 2 row can be used. 6 row has a grainier profile than 2 row hence the reason for using some 2 row.

Adjuncts:
To get Corn into the mash then you can use; Flaked maize which is pre-gelatinised and add it to your mash. Corn syrup can be added late to the kettle. You can also use corn grits but they need a separate mash. The same goes for flaked maize, rice syrup and rice grits.

Hops:
Obviously a lot off American hops are used although some foreign styles of hops are grown domestically as well as some imports are used. Importantly the bitterness is low at around 10-14 IBU.

Yeast:
Obviously a lager yeast is the best bet. It’s difficult to tell what the big boys use bit an American Lager yeast is a good choice, like Wyeast 2035 os similar.

So far we have an outline of the beer.

OG 1040 - 1045
FG 1005 – 1007
SRM - ~ 2-4
IBU 10-14
ABV 4-5%

So from the info above we can put a list together.

2 row pale or pilsner malt
6 row pale palt
Rice or Corn adjunct
Hops from the list of : Noble, Cascade, Willamette, Spalt, Newport, Sterling and a few others.
Yeast. Lager, American, Wyeast 2035.

A good clean tasting water is a must especially if you plan to brew strong and water it down. Sterilised water can help with this but you’ll need to add brewing salts to it. You can also use Camden tablets to take out chloramines and boil to remove chlorine.

Now that info above is well is enough to get you well in the way to understanding how to brew a BMC style beer.

Now this is where the EAC bit comes in. I’d say it’s all toooo much effort and it’s much easier toy just go buy a case for $20 dollars or what ever it costs and use your brew time to brew a Real Ale worth the effort. But because I’m in a good mood here’s a little more info.

You need to mash for a highly fermentable wort, which means at the lower end of the mashing scale maybe 150-152 or if you have the inclination ability to step mash then do some lower temp steps with a rest at 140 really helping to get a dry beer. I’m no expert on step mashes so can’t really help more than that.

With sparging clarity is important so fly sparging can help or at least returning plenty of the first mash back to the mash when batch sparging. You need to be careful not to sparge bellow around 1010.

A good boil is required to make sure you boil off any DMS and allow a good hot break.

That’s enough for now. If any one who is less of an EAC wants to pick up on the actual recipes, hop additions, fermenting ageing and carbing schedules please feel free.

Important SUPER CHILL it or it'll taste like crap because you'll actually taste it.

I’m off for a Real Beer.
Well as you can see, brewing a Bud is not really a viable option for most hombrewers, especially noobs.
But if you really must and feel the need, I'd look at this for an option. There is a down side. It may be better than Bud and you may have to suffer some taste in the beer. (What a shame)

Budweiser Clone (BYO)
by Karl Glarner Jr.

This is a great, easy-to-make pilsner-style beer made with ale yeast — no lagering
required. Comes close to many commercial light pilsners, with just a bit more flavor. (5
gallons)

Ingredients:

• 2.5 lbs. extra light dry malt extract
• 1.5 lbs. light honey
• 1 oz. Cascade hops (6% alpha acid): 0.25 oz. for 60 min., 0.25 oz. for 30 min.,
0.5 oz. for steeping
• 1 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
• 1 tsp. gypsum
• Wyeast 1056 (American ale) or Yeast Lab Canadian ale (AO7)
• 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:

Bring 2 gal. water to boil. Remove from heat and add dry malt, honey, and gypsum. Return
to boil. Total boil is 60 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade and boil for 30 min. Add 0.25 oz. Cascade
and boil for 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil for 15 min. more. Turn off heat, add 0.5
oz. Cascade hops, and steep for 2 min. Pour into fermenter and top up with cold, preboiled
water. When cooled below 70° F pitch yeast.

Ferment seven to 10 days in primary at 70° F or below, then transfer to secondary and
ferment another seven days. Prime and bottle.

Here's some more

Recommended recipe - I dried the crap out of this one...

http://www.thehomebrewstore.com/HBS001.htm
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter10-8.html
http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/02_25.html

just buy a pony, degass, rack to corny, tell unwitting friends it is 'homebrew'.

important: remind them of all the trouble you went through to brew such a difficult beer and lager it. :)

if they say it tastes like sh*t, you know they can't tell pisswater from pissbeer.

if they say, "Hey that's great!" at least you have a few extra bucks and more time for better beer. And with them around since you have piss, they will be more inclined to eventually try better beer with every visit.

Good write up orfy, now all EACs can just reply to the dail/weekly request for BMC recipes to search for "want brew budweiser" in the forum. simple enough.

i was wondering if you either had gone soft or were playing april fools a month early with that first sentence!

cheers! :tank:

orfy said:
If you are going to try this then you should be aware that because there are no heavy or strong flavours and off flavours caused by method or ingredients will show through and not be masked so fresh ingredients should be used.

Truth be told, BMC is probably one of the most difficult styles for a homebrewer, for this reason. I think it would be extremely difficult for an extract brewer to achieve the "correct" color, and it would require excellent quality control for any brewer to brew a beer with very little malt character and very low hop bitterness and flavor without detectable flaws.

I guess it's hard for me to see why anyone would bother at all: it's a lot of effort and expense to achieve a result that can be puchased at the store for less.

I am hoping this thread can be used to deal with the uneducated serious request and put people on the right path. The write up is enough to show people what's involved and if they want to proceed a few cut and paste recipes will suffice.
May be a few "Better" alternates like an easy IPA or lawnmower ale should help those who realise the error of their ways.

:tank:

Don't forget the beechwood in the lagering phase. I just watched ultimate factories on National Geographic channel and I watch the guys get into the horizontal tank to rake out all the wood before pumping the beer in.

Also, don't forget to spend millions of dollars on advertising.

Hire a George Clooney impersonator to say, "This is," [insert name here] "'s Budweiser clone. This is Beer."

Bobby_M said:
Don't forget the beechwood in the lagering phase. I just watched ultimate factories on National Geographic channel and I watch the guys get into the horizontal tank to rake out all the wood before pumping the beer in.

You know funny thing, I was listening to a podcast once that claims this is the exact reason (beechwood aging) that they have long term stability problems and one of the reasons behing the whole "freshness" campaign.

Anyone ever seriously taste compared different BMCs?

It seems like there's so little distinguishing flavor that it'd be hard to tell them apart.

cweston said:

It seems like there's so little distinguishing flavor that it'd be hard to tell them apart.

I have definitely noticed any beer without some skunkyness seems to taste "off, maybe a bad batch' to most BMC drinkers. oh, and DMS for sure.

One thing I definitely notice is almost all BMC drinkers I know excitedly say, "Look at that! Perfect pour! Great head!" when there is little or even better NO head at all to the beer.

I get chastised for pouring a nice quarter to half inch head.

As far as I can tell, some are a little drier than others, but that's more or less it.

drouillp said:
I have definitely noticed any beer without some skunkyness seems to taste "off, maybe a bad batch' to most BMC drinkers. oh, and DMS for sure.

LOL--I didn't reallly mean it in a EAC-ish sort of way. It just seems like since the goal of BMC is to be dry and pale and fizzy with very little flavor, any BMC that achieves that goal is going to taste about like any other.

drouillp said:

One thing I definitely notice is almost all BMC drinkers I know excitedly say, "Look at that! Perfect pour! Great head!" when there is little or even better NO head at all to the beer.

I get chastised for pouring a nice quarter to half inch head.

You know, the exact same thing happens to me! I don't understand it, I love a good creamy head. That last lump of foam from the final bit of a pint of Guinness is like...hot fudge on a sundae. :mug:

cweston said:
LOL--I didn't reallly mean it in a EAC-ish sort of way. It just seems like since the goal of BMC is to be dry and pale and fizzy with very little flavor, any BMC that achieves that goal is going to taste about like any other.

That was meant with all honesty! I do notice also that coors to me, at least this far east, seems to taste stale... almost rancid. Had it in colorado and it tasted (rightfully so) completely different.

cweston said:

I think I could tell BMC apart. They all have distinctive flavors.

drouillp said:
That was meant with all honesty! I do notice also that coors to me, at least this far east, seems to taste stale... almost rancid. Had it in colorado and it tasted (rightfully so) completely different.

My BIL who lives in St. Louis used to always brink Busch. It always seemed to me to taste better (fresher, less skunky) than most BMC.

There's probably something to that--beer in general doesn't travel all that well, and a low flavor low IBU beer is going to show any flaw or skunkiness.

I was at the gym this morn and they have the tv on without sound and an article comes on about how the price of beer is expected to go up but (again the sound was off I didn't catch the narrative) the visual was on ethenol and corn prices rising. I thought there were only a few BMC types that used corn. Anyway nother good reason to brew your own and to stay away from corn based beer.

They also use a non-yeast organism that can ferment the sugars to a lower FG for that lighter-bodied effect. That's how they achieve alcohol levels considering the small OG.

Budweiser hires the best scientists to create the ingredients for their beer.

Take a look at the 7.7.7 thread. Now, reverse it to make it more palatable to the masses. You'll end up with BMC. Look at all of us - some dislike hoppy, others dislike malty, some want something more sessionable.

Create a beer that's not too hoppy, not too malty, not too dark, not too heavy, and without too much mouthfeel, that can be drank continuously on a hot day. Then, keep the total price per case at only a few bucks so that a profit can be made. Finally, make sure that people need to drink more than 2 or three to get drunk so that they can move more product at bars.

Did somebody pull your chain Orfy?

I don't like BMC myself, But I'm actually planning to brew a classic american pilsner for the 4th of July this year. It's pretty much the ancestor of the modern american lager.

BTW,

Historcally adjuncts were used because the available malt was 6-row barley which is very high in protein. And to brew a light beer like a pilner that protein needs to be dilluted with corn or rice.

When you mash corn, you don't get corn sugar. Mashing will still produce your normal amounts of maltose, gluscose, maltotriose and dectrins. Corn sugar is 100% glucose and may lead to fermentation problems

Important SUPER CHILL it or it'll taste like crap because you'll actually taste it.

This is very important indeed b/c if this is truly your first attempt at brewing, it will centainly not taste like any lager you had before.

Cheesefood said:
They also use a non-yeast organism that can ferment the sugars to a lower FG for that lighter-bodied effect. That's how they achieve alcohol levels considering the small OG.

Are you sure?

My understanding was that they mash towards very high fermentability. Miller and Coors (not AB) are supposedly using enzyme preparations in the mash.

Kai
Kai

Fish said:
I was at the gym this morn and they have the tv on without sound and an article comes on about how the price of beer is expected to go up but (again the sound was off I didn't catch the narrative) the visual was on ethenol and corn prices rising. I thought there were only a few BMC types that used corn. Anyway nother good reason to brew your own and to stay away from corn based beer.

I think the gist of this is that ethanol production is supporting higher corn prices, and this is driving a shift in acreage from, among other things, barley, to corn.

Therefore the prediction is that barley supplies are going to be tight and prices will go up, driving beer prices up.

Here in Kansas, it has been widely reported that corn acreage is increasing. This could be problematic for other reasons as well: most of Kansas is too arid for corn production without considerable irrigation, for example. I'm not going to be too happy in August when it's 105 degrees if extensive irrigation has raised the humidity, for example.

Well the bad news is barley prices are increasing as well so all beer is likely to increase in price along with the price of Malt.

I can take a reasonable hike in the price but the thing is producers, distributors and resellers hardly ever just pass on the price rise, they stick on a little for themselves as well. So a 10% raw ingredient price increase quite often ends up at 30% by the time it gets to the user.

bravo orfy....bravo

AFAIK Miller Lite is the only one that uses maize

but we can rebuild it....we have the technology

we can make it better.

Chimone said:
bravo orfy....bravo

AFAIK Miller Lite is the only one that uses maize

but we can rebuild it....we have the technology

we can make it better.

I was under the impression that Busch used grits. Does that classify as maize? :confused:

Chimone said:
but we can rebuild it

a slow and daunting process, but one worthy of any resource available.

things will change, but not with much haste.

Think, though, BMC are already actively trying to release 'other' beers. When I walk into a bar and see young people like me drinking... blue moon, guiness, sam adams, bell's beers, and seasonal offerings. I see more and more younger people less afraid of trying a beer they've never tasted before, or picking that tap handle that they haven't seen. I see a future.

Without demand there is no growth.

EDIT: Sorry orfy, this thread has been officially hijacked. And then some. :off:

fezzman said:
I was under the impression that Busch used grits. Does that classify as maize? :confused:

yes. grits is just processed maize.

grits/polenta can be used at home if you are making a classic american pils too. just remember to mash it separately before your full mash to break down the starches for the enzymes.

orfy said:
No, I want this thread to be an educator

You know, I'm with Orfy on this one. I've heard people say many times, "Brew what you like", and then everyone heaps derision on those that like BMC. That's not the way I want to go mind you, but I can see people wanting to brew commercial style beers. It's often a goal of the first time brewer and maybe even some experienced brewers that have friends that like it. My Dad likes white wine with EVERYTHING. He shouldn't have to put up with (me) ragging on him for his barbaric ways.

Orfy has it right. If this is what you want, here's how to do it right. His post should be a sticky in the beginners page. Good on ya, Orfy.

Amen, Orfy.

Lots of beer drinkers think there's only one style of beer. When they hear us talk about brewing beer, that's what they think we make.

So, if that's "beer" for them, let's help them make "beer".

You know, I'd be happy to make a BMC clone for someone (if I was good enough to make one)...I totally enjoy a crappy macrobeer once in a while. The only beer I've never, ever, ever liked at all was Corona. Call me crazy, but I think that it tastes like total garbage. But hey, if someone wants to make it, rock on. :D

Gracchus: Fear and wonder of Ale, a powerful combination.
Gaius: You really think people are going to be seduced by BMC?
Gracchus: I think Orfy knows what BMC is. BMC is the mob. Conjure BMC for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar for the Coors Twins. The beating heart of BMC is not the brick of the breweries, it's the sound of the of the stock holders. He'll bring them BMC - and they will love him for it.
Commodus: And now they love Orfy for his mercy...
Ok, I need a refill :drunk:

desertBrew said:
Gracchus: I think Orfy knows what BMC is. BMC is the mob. Conjure BMC for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar for the Coors Twins. The beating heart of BMC is not the brick of the breweries, it's the sound of the of the stock holders. He'll bring them BMC - and they will love him for it.

Yes, yes you do. :drunk:

desertBrew said:

Are you watching Gladiator now or have you just watched it way too many times?

Google/copy/paste/edit although I do like the flick.

Might be the 16 hour work day and the 3rd Makers on the rocks I've had. Think I'll pop a Miller High Life next (really).

Heres's an All grain option from Palmer

Typical American Lager Style Guidelines
OG: 1.035-50
FG:.098-1.012
IBUs: 8-22
Color: 2-8 SRM
Commercial Example: Budweiser
Typical American Lager Beer

Malts:
3.5 lbs. of pale DME
1.5 lbs. of dry rice solids (powder)
BG for 3 Gallons 1.070
OG for 5 Gallons 1.042

Hops
1 oz of Tettnanger (5%) Boil for 60 minutes
1&Mac218;2 oz of Tettnanger (5%) Boil for 10 minutes
Total IBUs = 17

Yeast
American Lager Yeast

Fermentation Schedule
2 weeks at 50°F in primary fermenter. Rack and lager at 40°F for 4 weeks.
Prime, and store bottles at room temperature.

Orfy you are THE eac.I crown you King of the ales. I primarily brew ales also. Lots of flavor and no need for extra fridge space! good thread

Back