Your Mother's Teet Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castlefreak

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
500 mL
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
206 HCU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 65 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days 65 degrees
Tasting Notes
Very smooth, like a chocolate milkshake with nice roastiness.
6 lbs. Dark DME (full boil)
1 lb. Lactose (15 min)
1 lb. Crystal C-60
8 oz. Chocolate malt
12 oz. Roasted barley
1 lb. Flaked oats

1.5 oz. Kent Goldings hops (5.4% AA) 60 min.
.5 oz. Kent Goldings hops (5.4% AA) 20 min.

.5 tsp. Irish moss 10 min.

Steep specialty grains in 1.5 gallons of water at ~152 degrees F for 30 minutes. I started with a full boil of 6 gallons.

Force carbed in a keg to about 2 volumes of CO2 and it pours silky smooth with a thick tan head of tiny bubbles.

Entered into a competition this week, so we'll see how it goes!

Forgot to post my tap handle!

IMG_01433.jpg

I'm brewing this up tomorrow. It'll be my first stout. I'm planning on putting a gallon in a growler and adding some red pepper flakes to make a red hot mother's milk stout. I've only seen brews with fresh peppers in the boil but nothing on flakes while fermenting. Any ideas?

I think the problem with flakes are they hold so much oil. Oil will be bad for the carbonation.

Hmmm. Thanks for the tip. I'm racking off a gallon on Friday for the pepper batch. Maybe I'll just soak a sliced and seeded jalapeño in some bourbon and throw it in for a week.

Thats just what I believe from what Ive seen from other threads. Since its a sweet stout maybe try the jalapeno in a pineapple vodka or something.

My wife just got wedding cake and marshmallow vodka. They might be good in a sweet stout… Only one way to find out I suppose.

I racked this off into a gallon jug and a bucket and lost a full gallon to trub in the primary. So disappointing. It was clear on top but the bottom was thick as a milkshake. When I first started to siphon it wouldn't start at all, instantly clogged. It had been in primary for a week at 60˚. It tasted good though. I put a jalapeño soaked in Marshmallow vodka in the gallon jug. The plan for the rest is to bottle half then add some coffee and finish bottling.

So how did it do in the competition?

I am brewing up a batch of this this weekend. I hope it tastes as good as it sounds!

Sorry, I haven't looked at this thread for a LONG time. It didn't place in the competition, but it scored pretty well. 35/50 pts, not bad for my first time entering into a comp.

Latest posts

Back