Wyeast 3944 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhulbert

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Wit on Friday the 14th using 3944. My fermentation temp was about 70 until yesterday. We got a mini heatwave after several weeks of coolness and I think yesterday the room probably got up to 75 and today possibly 80.

So, my question is... Are the yeasties far enough along in their process that it will not affect the flavor much or should I be concerned? I read upping the temp some towards the end is good for a Belgian ale (maybe?), but I am not sure that I am close enough to the end... Do I need to make a water bath? Or is it too late? Or is it not an issue?

Thanks for any input!

3944? I've used that yeast a couple times, and both times it went insane. I'd be surprised if the bulk of your primary fermentation took longer than 3 days.

Obviously, the best solution is temp control, but don't worry.. the beer should be fine. Next time there's a heat wave, set the carboy in a tub of water, "dress it" with an old shirt, and put a fan on it. It works like a charm... knocks 8-10 degrees off of the ambient temp for me in a pinch.

Eh... it's a wit -- you're supposed to taste the yeast anyway. The worst thing that could happen would be that it turns out a little fruitier than you had anticipated. It'll probably be great!

Okay! I wasn't really worried, because I know fruity is good for a wit. But, then I got to worrying that I wasn't too worried. So, I figured I should just check with the pros... ;) You guys are a wonderful resource! I hope I can be as helpful as you all in the future - after I get a few more brews under my belt...

Latest posts

Back