Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will the blades degrade on their own over time?

They will oxidize and dull overtime once out of the wrappers or if the wrappers get wet or too damp from humidity.

Once you start to shave with them and they get wet they go down hill quick. You can get a few more shaves out of a blade if you dry them. I usually just shake the water out or pat dry with a thick towel (do so carefully, at your own risk of what you feel comfortable with). I can easily get 5-6 shaves out of a gillette 7oclock black and they rate up there with Feathers.

I can rarely get a good shave if a blade has been used a few times over a two week period but my beard is from hell...

Ok, so as long as I store them in their wrappers I'm good. I have really coarse hair and don't get more than a few shaves with a blade. Maybe this will change with the feathers.

If they are in your razor make sure they are dry before leaving them. If they are in their wrapper unused keep them that way ;)

If you have a few hundred, an airtight container helps. Some people go as far as to put packets of silica gel in with the blades. Silly preppers anticipating the shavepocalypse... Says the guy with 2 straights and two hundredish blades (small compared to lots!)

If they are in your razor make sure they are dry before leaving them. If they are in their wrapper unused keep them that way ;)

If you have a few hundred, an airtight container helps. Some people go as far as to put packets of silica gel in with the blades. Silly preppers anticipating the shavepocalypse... Says the guy with 2 straights and two hundredish blades (small compared to lots!)

I didn't mess with sealing my bulk blades since each 5 blade pack is wrapped in cellophane.

I've been using a slightly more aggressive open comb razor that requires a much lighter touch. I've had great luck with the bluebirds and the personna labs (blue package). I would recommend them.

OK i literally spent last night at work reading this thread, i always passed it by because i thought it was a joke thread title. I had no idea that this was a real thing. I didnt know you could do it home and even watched the How its Made episodes on SE and DEs and asked my wife who the hell still uses those?

After diving into this thread and being at work i was ansy to get home. Im looking at a 65 SuperSpeed on ebay right now up to .99 cents(whooo)

Ive got a brush cream and blades on the way here from westcoast shaving, i think im about to take over the bathroom or at least annex some from my wife.

Question i have is using a soap puck i see alot of yall have it in a cup and wanted to know do you lather in the cup or use hot water to pick up some and then use another vessel.

AHHH im really excited to get all my supplies here and start shaving.

I just swipe my soap a few times with my wet brush, in a circular pattern. Then Face lather with the brush.

I keep my soap in a bowl, or a can (from Westcoast shaving) If your soap doesn't fit the bowl/mug just cut some off and pack the shavings in the bottom or where ever they fit.

I have some screw top plastic bowls, and used a cheese grater to mill the soap in it, and press it back into one piece. Some of the soap manufacturers have the option to buy their soap in a bowl already.

That being said... I get the brush wet, shake most of the water out, give it a few swirls, then work up a lather in a wide mouth mug, adding a few drops at a time till it is the consistency that works for me.

You won't regret it, especially if your skin is particularly sensitive. I used to abhor shaving, but with a good DE and some hot lather, I actually enjoy shaving. When I first got set up, I shaved a LOT. Now I'm back to being bearded all the time, but I still do a hot wet shave to clean up my neck, which is the most sensitive area for me anyway.

-snip- Question i have is using a soap puck i see alot of yall have it in a cup and wanted to know do you lather in the cup or use hot water to pick up some and then use another vessel. -snip-

I keep my soap in a wooden bowl with a lid to keep it clean. I soak my brush in hot water in a granite bowl, both to soften the brush and to preheat the bowl, and I give the soap a quick rinse to soften the surface. Then I flick most of the water off the brush, add new hot water to the granite bowl, swirl the brush around on the soap cake until it picks up the right amount of soap and rinse the soap cake and put it away. I dump most of the hot water out of the granite bowl and start working up a lather that's a bit on the thick side, adding hot water until it's the right consistency to shave with.

I used to build the lather in the same dish as the soap cake but when I started using glycerin based soaps I found I went through them too fast that way. I also like using a separate granite bowl because I can get it really hot and it will act as a heat reservoir for the lather.

I've heard of some guys just getting soap on the brush and working up a lather directly on their face. Try different techniques and you'll quickly learn what works for you.

Thanks for your techniques.

Yea im coming from shaving no gel or anything maybe hot water.

But that was born of me being in the military and either in the field deployed or at work early and no time to get ready needing to shave everyday. Got out and the trend just continued becuase thats what I was used to. Necks always been kind of rough but im sure this will help immensely

I watched all his vids great info plus I can relate to the cheesiness.

Its funny the seller lives where I do and has many razors on sale I wonder what else he collects for the shaving world

A couple of days ago I unearthed a badger brush and soap I received as a Christmas present a few years back and thought, "What the heck?" (Coincidentally it was a couple days after I had read this thread.) So I broke them out along with an old safety razor I had from my grandfather. After the first shave, my electric razor got tossed in the bottom drawer of the bathroom cabinet.

So my question to the group is, is it unnatural to want to shave 2 or 3 times a day?

All depends what you are shaving

OK i literally spent last night at work reading this thread, i always passed it by because i thought it was a joke thread title. I had no idea that this was a real thing. I didnt know you could do it home and even watched the How its Made episodes on SE and DEs and asked my wife who the hell still uses those?

After diving into this thread and being at work i was ansy to get home. Im looking at a 65 SuperSpeed on ebay right now up to .99 cents(whooo)

Ive got a brush cream and blades on the way here from westcoast shaving, i think im about to take over the bathroom or at least annex some from my wife.

Question i have is using a soap puck i see alot of yall have it in a cup and wanted to know do you lather in the cup or use hot water to pick up some and then use another vessel.

AHHH im really excited to get all my supplies here and start shaving.

Another convert.

Thanks for your techniques.

Yea im coming from shaving no gel or anything maybe hot water.

But that was born of me being in the military and either in the field deployed or at work early and no time to get ready needing to shave everyday. Got out and the trend just continued becuase thats what I was used to. Necks always been kind of rough but im sure this will help immensely

Yup...this part sucks. Wet shaving the majority of the time but having to subject myself to the "field shave" makes me appreciate the first wet shave after a shower even more.

jtkratzer said:
Another convert.

Yup...this part sucks. Wet shaving the majority of the time but having to subject myself to the "field shave" makes me appreciate the first wet shave after a shower even more.

God I couldnt imagine going from wet shave to field smooth. Id cry or commendere a heater canteen cup and mirror.

jtkratzer said:
Being an arty guy and having access to a coffee pot, I have definitely run water through the pot to heat it up before a shave.

Nice I would use the engine shroud of an AAV to heat up soup and coffee. Cant have tasters choice cold.

Another 100 pack of Shark Super Chromes arrived in the mail today. First pack lasted me about two years. Spending $15 on razor blades every two years - winning!

Punity said:
Nice I would use the engine shroud of an AAV to heat up soup and coffee. Cant have tasters choice cold.

Can't really have any of the cheap stuff cold.

Pappers_ said:
Another 100 pack of Shark Super Chromes arrived in the mail today. First pack lasted me about two years. Spending $15 on razor blades every two years - winning!

Very nice! High five!

I bought 50 of the same last summer. Sharks are great.

Im new to the discussion, but a 3 year veteran DE shaver.

Merkur 38c
Simpson Colonel X2L brush in Best.
L'Occitane Cade soap is my go-to.

Cut my nose this morning shaving under it. Didn't even notice it until I was making coffee and thought I had a runny nose. Damn.

landshark said:
Cut my nose this morning shaving under it. Didn't even notice it until I was making coffee and thought I had a runny nose. Damn.

I hate that. I almost always cut my lip working in that area, it annoys me.

I have one little spot, to the left side of my mouth that I always seem to nick, Annoys the crap out of me too.

Chin never seemed to get smooth, now I just buff the hell out of it to get it smooth. Given up on shaving it with any sort of precision, but I'm happy with how it turns out, and luckily don't have very sensitive skin.

Have to keep working on my angle technique. Tend to fall back into moving the wrist rather than the elbow, which doesn't exactly produce an evenly smooth shave ("bailing motion" rather than a "skimming motion"). Also keep tending to push way harder than I need to - few days ago I managed to push the edge of the blade into the skin. Nice long cut for a while.

Amazing how good the results can be (and are, most days), and also amazing how something so simple is so difficult to perfect...

andycr said:
Chin never seemed to get smooth, now I just buff the hell out of it to get it smooth. Given up on shaving it with any sort of precision, but I'm happy with how it turns out, and luckily don't have very sensitive skin.

Have to keep working on my angle technique. Tend to fall back into moving the wrist rather than the elbow, which doesn't exactly produce an evenly smooth shave ("bailing motion" rather than a "skimming motion"). Also keep tending to push way harder than I need to - few days ago I managed to push the edge of the blade into the skin. Nice long cut for a while.

Amazing how good the results can be (and are, most days), and also amazing how something so simple is so difficult to perfect...

I sometimes fight with the razor as well, but not to the degree of inserting the blade into my skin. Been really focusing on the basics of blade angle and pressure (lack of) lately.

Sweet just got most of my supplies brush cream and razrs are here just wating on my 54 superspeed and finding the right mug that I want to use for lather. God I cant wait.

Sweet just got most of my supplies brush cream and razrs are here just wating on my 54 superspeed and finding the right mug that I want to use for lather. God I cant wait.

I went to Walmart and got a 'Soup Mug' I used a large fiesta ware one before that. Worked great. The soup mugs are $2...

Back