What kind of bottles can we re-use for bottling, I am a Bar manager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maierjo

Reaction score
I am a bar manager and am looking to save a couple bucks by re-using the bottles from work.
Currently I have my staff saving all the Sam Adams bottles and they have work well for me so far but I need more bottles without paying lots for new ones.
I physically don't have the space for a Kegorator so kegging is out of the question. I know we can not use any twist top bottles and some bottles the lip on top is different so the cap doesn't make a perfect seal.

Without wasting my own brew on bad bottles what brands work best. We carry, Hoegarden, Sam Adams, Stella, Bass, Heineken, Newcastle... Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

IMHO, Sam Adams has the best bottles by far that I've seen (nice and heavy glass usually darker than most bottles too). Pick up a Sam Adams bottle, ook at the neck and collar around the top of the bottle. Match that to whatever bottle and you'll have what you're looking for. Dos Equis bottles have a shorter "collar" that doesn't bite well with most cappers. Some of the collars are rounded like Hobgobblin beers. Also I don't like the Stella bottles because they feel too flimsy for me. Again, just my opinion but I avoid saving all bottles that are not brown.

Really any crown cap bottle can be used. We recommend folks stay away from clear or green.

Interesting bottles I tend to keep for similar style beers. My hoegaarden clone gos into hoegaarden bottles, my leffe clone goes into leffe blonde bottles.

The biggest factor for re-suing any bottle is easability of getting the labels off. If it doesn't come off in a 24 hour soak of oxyclean in hot water, the bottle is tossed.

BTW...you're a bar manager and you're saving bottles? I would think in a few nights you'd have more bottles then you know what to do with.

I personally emptied 80% of my bottles. I've gotten some from friends as well. But the way I figure it, if you can't drink 2 cases (48 beers) or atleast make a good attempt in the time it takes to brew and ferment a typical 5gal batch you probably need to rethink you're hobby choice.

Sam Adams is the best. Visit the recycle center and your good to go. The collecting gets interesting when you move into the 22 oz bottles.

PS no green or clear bottles

Correction, Sam Adams would normally be a fine reuse bottle IF you never plan to enter your beers in BJCP competitions. While many are making exceptions, there are still many that refuse the embossed bottles. If you don't plan to compete, carry on with the Sam.

I don't like Sam Adams because the raised Samuel Adams logos are a no-go for competitions. If I had a choice, I'd go with the Sierra Nevada stubbies. Since they are bottle conditioned, I (maybe foolishly) think they can stand a little more abuse.

The biggest factor for re-suing any bottle is easability of getting the labels off. If it doesn't come off in a 24 hour soak of oxyclean in hot water, the bottle is tossed.

+1 on that! After a soak in oxyclean free water for 24 it's go or throw(away).

Oh, one other bottle I really like are the Sierra Nevada bottles. I dunno I just like them. The lables come off nice but they leave some glue residue. It gets a bit monotonous scrubbing that off sometimes.

BTW...you're a bar manager and you're saving bottles? I would think in a few nights you'd have more bottles then you know what to do with.

I personally emptied 80% of my bottles. I've gotten some from friends as well. But the way I figure it, if you can't drink 2 cases (48 beers) or atleast make a good attempt in the time it takes to brew and ferment a typical 5gal batch you probably need to rethink you're hobby choice.

+1
Excellent ...
same with me at least 80% of my 350+ bottles I have personally emptied in the last 12 months, and a lot of them I refilled multiple times... :mug:

I perfer crown caps that don't have paper on them like Stone Brewing bottles. Easier to just toss them in the dishwasher for cleaning.

Correction, Sam Adams would normally be a fine reuse bottle IF you never plan to enter your beers in BJCP competitions. While many are making exceptions, there are still many that refuse the embossed bottles. If you don't plan to compete, carry on with the Sam.

I was just going to bring this up.

Yea, my favorites are definitely the Sierra Nevada stubbies. Firestone walker uses the same bottle. Labels fall right off after a quick soak, cleaning couldn't be easier, and they're crown cap. Perfect!

Bell's labels slip right off with a five minute soak in warm water and a quick wipe with a rag to remove any residue. That and I have yet to have a Bell's beer that I didn't like.

Sierra Nevada for sure! Anyone know if Negro Modelo stubbies are acceptable?

Green scrubby pads work great for removing any glue residue the oxyclean doesn't take care of. Comes right off.

I have bottled successfully in Negro Model bottles. The only thing I didn't like is the slightly larger diameter didn't fit as well I some of my bottle boxes.

How about Guinness bottles. I saw somewhere that they no longer have that plastic thingy in them anymore, amirite? They also have the plastic film which cuts right off.

Yup, I've used the Guiness too. Great bottles, love that the labels just cut off. Plus they are super dark.

Back