I have pacman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
WOOT! Within a few hours of pitching the last inch of a 22 oz dead guy ale and a chocolate stout (both by rogue obviously) I had this sedement in the bottom of my mason jar. I didn't expect yeast to grow so quickly so I was weary of what it was. But in about 7-8 hours today the amount in the chocolate stout starter has about doubled!

At 1:00 PM (left is dead guy, right is stout)
33522_1234373790802_1572900985_30969559_7808655_n.jpg

PS: Thank you to Revvy for the advice on this process!

Congrats! I recently tried my hand at scabbing some pacman from a bottle of sommer orange honey ale. Worked great, I ended up wth two 1/2 full vials, plan on using it next brew if I ever get the godd#%mn time to brew.

My brewday is on its 3rd week of hold! Gotta get something brewing related done, so I'm installing my temp controller and fan in my kegerator!

Once again, congrats. Isn't it an awesome feeling to "steal" some yeast and grow it.

Thanks Rogue!

Can you link where Reevy told you how to do this?

There are a couple different threads out there, but it is pretty simple. Here is my procedure:

1. Santize a mason jar (pint size, but size doesn't matter :p) or erlemeyer flask as well as a 6"x6" piece of aluminum foil.

2. Brew up a starter (I boiled 2 cups of water and .5 cup DME), let it cool to room temp. Pour it in a mason jar.

3. Making sure it is settled and the yeast sediment is on the bottom, pour a 22 oz. Rogue brew into a glass (either Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout, Chocolate Stout or Brutal Bitter) but leave the last inch or so in the bottom of the bottle.

4. Swirl the Rogue bottle vigorously for about 15-20 seconds to dislodge all the stubborn yeast at the bottom of the bottle. Pour remaining beer/yeast into mason jar.

5. Cover opening to jar with sanitized foil.

6. Swirl up the contents of the jar every time you think about it/as often as you can to keep the yeast circulating.

7. As the yeast multiply you need to keep upping the amount of water/DME so they can continue to feed (and you can split the batch up). Then when it is time to pitch just pour out most of the starter fluid, shake her up and pour her into your wort.

You have to be VERY patient with it because the yeast is there, they just take a while to become noticable. The ideal method is to have an erlemeyer flash and and automatic stirrer, but since that wasn't and option for me i used the tin foil/ mason jar method

Back