Visual Reference Charts for Beer Styles and Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oktober

Reaction score
Hey All,

I’m not exactly sure what got me started on this, but over the past month or so I’ve been leisurely building a series of charts displaying the BCJP beer styles and their parameters. Maybe I’m just a visual learner, but by seeing everything laid out in such a way, I appreciated some of the styles a bit better.

After a little prodding from my brother, I decided to post the charts out there for anyone to look at or reference. As such, I wanted to post some links to them here in the hopes that I can get some feedback on them. Anyone find them useful? Is there anything detracting? Anyway to make them better or improve the charts?

BJCP Beer Style Visual Reference Charts:

After I finished the BJCP Style Charts, I felt the urge to keep at it, so I recently started building visual charts for commercial yeast strains. Only the first one has been posted yet, with the others still being works in progress.

White Labs Yeast Visual Reference Charts:

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or feedback on this pet project of mine. You can either leave comments here, or preferentially on the pages linked above (as it’s a lot easier for me to keep the feedback sorted that way). Additionally, assuming I keep at this, are there any other ‘visual chart’ topics I might be able to tackle?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts – I’ll try to update the links as new charts come out.

Slainte!
:mug:

-Okt

These are great! I'm currently in a BJCP class, and these will definitely be great to reference / study. I think I'll take a few copies with me tonight for others.

Thanks for sharing! :mug:

Awesome, I am very visual in my learning too... this will help. I'll post a copy in my brew room.... you know.... the garage.

I like the yeast chart... The others I personally don't care about because I really don't like the BJCP's style guidelines and their monopoly in the beer judging field, but they look great, and I am sure many people will find them helpful!

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback so far.

Gila - I was unaware of a White Labs poster. Can you post a link to it?

senorswiss - Hey that's great! As I mentioned, I didn't have a real reason for while I started building these charts, but that's awesome that you find them useful for the BJCP tests. Thanks for sharing!

-Okt

Oktober....these are fantastic! Being one that really needs to see to understand myself, all of these will be printed and hung on the wall of the garage! Thanks for all of the hard work.

Jason, if you would like, shoot me a pm or an email and I can send you a sharper, higher-res version of the charts for priniting.

-Okt

Hey All,

For those that are interested, I finished two more of the White Labs Yeast Visual Reference charts. Here's the updated list:

White Labs Yeast Visual Reference Charts:
Thanks again to everyone that has provided comments and feedback on this little side project. I should have the last one out sometime in the next couple weeks.

Best Regards,

-Okt

thanks for your posts, just in case this grows into a large thread, you might want to just edit your first post, this way people can find all the links in one shot.

great post though!

I originally was planning on updating the initial post - it makes the most sense. However, for some reason, I don't have the option to edit my initial post - the "Edit" button doesn't show up for that post. Is there a time limit for how long you can edit a post before editting rights go away?

Strange....

-Okt

Awesome work, Oktober!

One suggestion/thought...

On the SRM chart, would it be difficult (or worth the effort in your mind) to change the bar for each style from the solid yellow to the actual color range that it corresponds to on the keys at the top and bottom?

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback so far.

Gila - I was unaware of a White Labs poster. Can you post a link to it?

senorswiss - Hey that's great! As I mentioned, I didn't have a real reason for while I started building these charts, but that's awesome that you find them useful for the BJCP tests. Thanks for sharing!

-Okt

Nope. It's not a website thing. Wyeast has one too. Only not as visual.

They are given to LHBS to offer free to the asker.

Back