Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I think you gotta find a theme to go with it. For example, I might go with something called Birthright Brewing and then name your beers after people that fought for rights (I'm a political guy) or 3B brewing (Brewing By Birthright) and name your beers after old 3d movies if your a film guy. Or find out why your last name is brewer, many people changed their last names when emigrating at Ellis Island so you could be Elis Island Ales. I think you should go deeper than just your last name, why do you brew? What's special to you about brewing? But then again I may just be full of it since I've had a few already ;)

Campo Brewing Company.
Campo in Spanish translates to field or rural area. Mostly farms and fishing villages with a few hotels and surf camps scattered along the coast. We say were out in the Campo. I guess similar to were out in the sticks or boonies
We sell 2 styles to a few of the restaurants in the area.
Here are our logos.

Pale Ale Logo border3.jpg

11406848_703270566443612_3641823817462280967_n.jpg

I was out with the guys a few months ago and the perfect brewery named popped randomly into my head. It was the most well thought out and perfectly descriptive bad a$$ name I ever thought of...I was so pleased with myself. Then I woke up the next morning and remembered I had the perfect brewery name, but couldn't remember it. To this day I still can't remember it. When I do It will probably be something silly and I'll kick myself.

I think I am changing mine up after this latest brew.

The new name will be "Thin Line Brewing" - denotes the thin line between indulgence and over-indulgence. I think I am going to start using song names for my beer names. Maybe do "band series".

I dunno.

The new name will be "Thin Line Brewing" - denotes the thin line between indulgence and over-indulgence. I think I am going to start using song names for my beer names. Maybe do "band series".

I dunno.

Can't go wrong with song names ! There are soooooo many great ones out there

Looks like I gotta get a new name. There is a real Badwater Brewing Co in AZ now. I get people all the time visiting my FB page, I even had one lady comment that she was happy we fired a certain girl :confused::tank: I don't know when they were established though.

I have two, Brewery Niiralan Riviera ("The Riviera of Niirala", a silly name we gave to a small pond and the surrounding "beach" near where I live), and Kotipanimo Karjalainen (which is just "Home Brewery Karjalainen", based on my family name, which also relates to a former region of Finland, and partially to one of the biggest Finnish beer brands).

I honestly haven't one hundred percent decided yet. I would like for it to have triple or more meanings, be relevant to the place I live and be clever and original, but I am having a hard time putting all those together. I really like the Brains Brewery labels and would like to have something that was a little different for each brew, but still shows my brand.

BCB-Cafe-Phoenix.png

I've been thinking "Life Happens Brewing", but am really not sure. I could put AZ imagery on the label. I love naming my beers naughty names. My bottled IPA is Fire Crotch IPA and my current brew in the fermenters I will call Two Hooters American Amber Ale.

Every single one of my beers (and someday maybe gypsy brewing company) is named after an irreverent inside joke, except that its not so much as an "inside joke" as it is something that makes me laugh and Ive never explained to anyone. At least they are catchy and memorable.

Im more concerned with the uniqueness of the label art too. LUckily, ive met a lot of artists and computer designers that have offered

When I restarted brewing towards the end of 2014, I decided on Time for 9 Brewing. It couples two of my biggest passions, brewing and college basketball.

First person to guess the significance gets a big old "Congratulations" from me.

GO CATS!! Time for #9 is a reference to UK basketball and the national titles they should have....

Changed mine to Wild Oscar Brewing. Oscar is my first name that I do not go by, and Oscar + Wild(e) seem to go together well. I just reversed them and removed the (e).

Thinking I'll change mine to Willow Bayou Brewing. My house backs up to a bayou called willowcreek. Blue Lion seems too old school for what I do these days.

Barking Mad Brewing is a combination of my SWMBO's last name and my last name (bartkoski king - barking) and TheMadKing has been my gamertag, forum handle, xbox name, everything since I was in highschool. So Barking Mad seemed to fit. Plus I'm a little crazy :D

I'm a copywriter at an ad agency, so I sort of give a middle finger to the marketing industry:

Typo Brewing
Good beer. Bad grammer.

I like it... And my beers are named after terrible marketingese, like Adulting IPA.

Living Dead Brewery
Don´t be a beer zombie - Drink zombie beer!

Couldnt figure out a new for my "brewery", one day i was watching some old zombiemovies and ended up with this name :)

logo rund - Living Dead Brewery.png

I'm pretty easy, I Brew electrically, automated to four switches.... So I thought "four switch" that is the name! Easy and it sounds fun!

drtyboy brewing

drty is a shortened version of my last name : Dougherty
I'm a boy at heart. And I'm brewing.

I dunno.

Well, I got way far away from this...

I was trying to go AG-only, but kept getting extract from people that were going to throw it away for some reason or another. Ultimately, I made a beer I just threw together on a whim, and decided that since it came about so weirdly, I'd call it "Weird Alice Pale Ale". Then I got to thinking about how Weird Alice Brewing sounds neat, so I changed my mind & went for it. Now all my beers will have at least a nursery rhyme vibe, if not something directly from "Through The Looking Glass" & its sequel.

So far, I have Tweedle-Dee & Tweedle-Dum, two IPAs. Next up is Little Red Ryeding Hood, a DIPA featuring Red X & rye malts ("Little" is a joke, since it is a DIPA.)

Mentally, I have planned out such things as The Frog Footman (a hoppy wheat APA), a March Hare Marzen (Oktoberfestbier), and a few others.

I decided on a common label, and I can write in the name & details.

A HUGE thanks to @TheCADJockey for helping me make this label!!!

weirdalice02.jpg

Yellow Cape. It's not a beer super hero, just the style and color of a house that was rebuilt after Sandy blew through. I use it for beer, wine and mead. Beer usually "Yellow Cape" somewhere on the label, this mead shows the house (concept, I worked with it more and fancied it up a bit). No aspirations to go pro, but a nice label for gift giving is a must.

image.jpg

I have read through all 227 pages of this interesting thread (bit-by-bit over a period of weeks). I am a long time lurker here and only recently registered. I thought I would make a contribution to the thread by way of introducing myself to the community.

I have been making beer and wine since the 1970's. I call my overall operation the "Centre for Excellence in Fermentation Sciences." As a retired academic scientist, I chose that name as a mockery of clueless academic administrators who think that affixing a superlative label to things might actually make something that is inherently inconsequential appear to be stellar (and thus attract funding).

My winery is called "Cathedral Peaks Winery" and is named after the majestic and rugged formations that can be seen from my window. I make mostly fruit and berry wines and, since the fermentable carbohydrate is mostly added sugar, it should more properly be called fruit kilju. I entered some wines in competition in our state fair last year and received some ribbons. Now, I can truthfully say that I make 'award-winning' wines. I have found that it is easy to make wine but it is not so easy to make 'good' wine. On the other hand, not-so-good wine can easily be converted to vinegar - or, one can heat it and collect and re-condense the steam vapors it emits (best done in the moonlight).

My brewing operation is called "BisonHeadBrewery" in consideration of the free-range Wyoming bison I harvested, and whose head hangs over the fermentors. I am aware that there may may very well be other "Bison Head" beers out there, and if anybody takes exception to my bison name, I will call my home brewery the "Arrowed Ox" in honor of the Musk Ox I harvested a few years ago with my bow. Those horns also oversee the fermentation process. I brewed my first beer in 1970 (nine years before President Carter signed legislation making home brewing legal). I used Pabst Blue Ribbon malt extract from the grocery store, bread yeast, and no hops. It tasted as bad as it sounds but I was a poor starving graduate student at the time and at $0.05 per quart, quantity was more important than quality. By the way, if you have a beer that is not quite right, you can always turn your beer into malt vinegar.

I have also been following the "help with labels" thread and will be seeking artistic help in label design - just thought it would be in poor taste to make my first post a plea for help.

Thanks to the sponsors, moderators, and members for making this forum a valuable resource to home brewers. Although I have been at it a long time, I learn something new each time I open a thread.

I make mostly fruit and berry wines and, since the fermentable carbohydrate is mostly added sugar, it should more properly be called fruit kilju.
While I can definitely sympathize with idiotic administration as well, the part that really jived with me was seeing the term "kilju" used by a non-Finn. It's great to see that something so reviled here can still make enough of an impact to be accepted as a term on the other side of the Earth. =)

Mothers of Fermention. It's a name that doesn't limit us to just beers, but anything that undergoes a fermentation. Mothers (even though we are 2 men) because mothers are caring and nurturing, much like how we have to grow and care for our yeast, and the finished product is like a child of our efforts. Fermention, a play on "fermentation" to show that we don't take ourselves too seriously. We love fermention experimention!

And obviously, it's completely based on the Mothers of Invention. Talented people making fun music and having a good time. That's what we're all about. :fro:

Day Off Ales.

Because my cat's name is Ferris.

Like Ferris Buller, as in Ferris Bullers Day Off.

No better time for an ale than your day off :)

Also because I'm a nerd.

This was the label for my first brew I did with my buddy at his place (Senshi is his dog)

nrvous_pale_ale-1.jpg

Day Off Ales.

Because my cat's name is Ferris.

Like Ferris Buller, as in Ferris Bullers Day Off.

No better time for an ale than your day off :)

Also because I'm a nerd.

This was the label for my first brew I did with my buddy at his place (Senshi is his dog)

Dude, can I be your best friend? That's amazing. There's a Ferris themed beer crawl through The Marigny down here in New Orleans coming up soon.

Me and my wife just started brewing. The town we live in and grew up in has an Indian mound in the center of town. So we decided at the moment on Indian Mound Brew Works.

Back