How Long Do You Wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSURaider41

Reaction score
How long do you allow the beer to age before you call it a wash? I have my first personal recipe and first all-grain batch at that. It has been aging for about 5 weeks.

My first taste, at 2 weeks in bottles, was watery/yeasty. After taking advice from the boards, I allowed it to sit for another 2 weeks. The 2nd taste had been in bottles for 4 weeks and while the flavors had changed, were still not anything that I would drink an entire batch of.

How long do you suggest I allow the beer to sit in bottles before I scrap it and start a new brew?

Well, I would have already started another brew or two or three :)... It's your beer and your taste buds! If it a "big beer" I would let it sit for months. I have been aging a barley wine for 9 months in anticipation of cooler weather. I would continue to brew and let that beer sit and try it again at a later time. Get a pipeline going and mix those brews in with better ones when you have already acquired your buzz :)

How was the brew process? everything go ok? If it was your first all grain what was your mash temp?

What part of Nati are you from?

It isn't really a big beer. It is an APA.

My mash temp was 154, following DeathBrewer's stovetop All-Grain process.

I haven't brewed anything else because, at the moment, we are getting ready to move to another apartment and so I am trying to save some money for the move before I purchase my outdoor propane burner and begin my outdoor brewing adventures (Our new apartment has an electric stovetop and most likely can not carry the weight).

Do you need the bottles? If you do then I suggest drinking beer in bottles for a bit to build up your supply. If not then just let them sit. Let friends try them or use them to compare to new batches.

If you're not interested in drinking them use them to deglaze pans or in a marinade.

In an unrelated question... does anyone know if an outdoor burner is against apartment grill laws? I will be living in an apartment and there are laws against grills near apartments. I most likely can't brew on our electric stovetop so want to brew outside on an outdoor burner... will this be something I will get busted for?

In an unrelated question... does anyone know if an outdoor burner is against apartment grill laws? I will be living in an apartment and there are laws against grills near apartments. I most likely can't brew on our electric stovetop so want to brew outside on an outdoor burner... will this be something I will get busted for?

I suspect all building policies are different so definitely check. Some buildings don't even allow BBQs.

i would say just leave them and start another brew. even if the beer is only 4 or 5% ABV it might take another month to become fully mature. if in a month or two you really dont like it, dump it. but i have had beers that really improved with time.

Back